FOCUS, the Fellowship of Christians in Universities and Schools, is a non-denominational Christian youth ministry working in 9 established East Coast areas and in San Francisco, CA. The purpose of FOCUS is to give independent school students in grades 6-12 the opportunity to investigate traditional Christian faith and values in a forum that is fun, relevant, intellectually stimulating, and non-coercive. FOCUS pursues this goal through area-based activities as well as summer programs at its Study Center on Martha’s Vineyard and school-season programs at various locations.
The New England Area Director will be responsible for all aspects of area ministry, including program delivery and managing the relationships between staff, students, parents, volunteers, school faculty, donors, and the local community we serve.
Primary functions of the Area Director:
- Develop and implement a vision for the Area, in keeping with the FOCUS ministry-wide vision, in order to reach independent school students for Christ.
- Work with the FOCUS Executive Director and the Area Sponsoring Committee (ASC), to develop short and long-term goals and strategies to meet the needs of the Area.
- Serve as direct source of communication with parents, families, school administrators, faculty, and area churches in order to build and strengthen relationships.
- Maintain direct and routine communication with the FOCUS Executive Director and other National Office functions such as Development, Operations and Human Resources.
- Oversee, encourage, and develop Area staff and volunteers as part of an Area-wide team, including establishing and supervising each staff member’s work responsibilities.
- Establish and implement an annual budget in coordination with the ASC, Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer, and managing the Area\’s ministry expenses.
- Fund raise, in conjunction with the ASC, for area operating budget by developing and maintaining relationships with donors, and planning and coordinating special fundraising events.
- Serve on summer programs. (Each year this equals approximately six weeks at summer programs on Martha’s Vineyard, MA, and two weeks during the school season.)
Additional responsibilities include managing staff that:
- Minister directly to students and teach biblical truth
- Lead Bible studies for leaders and students.
- Organize and speak at local and national school-season events. Organizing and leading discipleship groups and Bible studies for students both on and off campus.
- Facilitate leadership training for volunteers and students.
- Plan and execute weekly and/or monthly outreach events for seekers.
- Conduct contact work by attending plays, games, and concerts, and by spending time with students over breakfast, lunch or coffee. The latter are critical aspects of the position as they offer opportunities to teach the Gospel in real life terms that speak to the group we are looking to reach.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A passion for the Christian Gospel and will be required to sign and abide by the FOCUS Statement of Faith.
- A strong interest in youth ministry. Some familiarity with independent schools and culture is strongly preferred.
- Faithful participation in a local church and a commitment to ongoing personal spiritual development.
- Ability and willingness to commit himself/herself to FOCUS for a minimum of three years. FOCUS assumes that all staff will stay with FOCUS until a clear call from God determines other plans.
FOCUS provides a package that includes:
- Competitive salary, depending on experience/education.
- Comprehensive Health/Dental and Disability insurances for Full-Time staff. (Monthly premiums are currently paid for in full by FOCUS, requiring no premium contribution from the staff member).
- Eligibility to participate in voluntary contributions to the FOCUS sponsored 403(b) Retirement Plan. FOCUS provides a dollar-to-dollar match to contributions, not to exceed 5% of eligible wages once tenure eligibility requirements are met and may also provide a discretionary contribution on an annual basis.
- 4 weeks paid vacation per year.
- 10 Paid Time Off (PTO) days to be used as personal and/or sick days
How To Apply
Please visit our employment page infocus.org/employment and apply online. You may also upload your resume and cover letter within the application portal. Any questions, please reach out to Rebecca Farquhar, Human Resources Manager at [email protected]. Kindly indicate in your cover letter or email where you found out about the opening. For more information on our ministry, visit us at infocus.org