Church of the Beloved was planted in 2013 and currently meets in the River North neighborhood of Chicago. Our average Sunday attendance is about 150, with the majority of the congregation being young professionals and Asian American. We are looking for an Assistant Pastor (AP), to work closely with our Senior Pastor, to share in the responsibility of pastoring our congregation. Our desire is for the AP to be a key influencer, compassionate shepherd, strategic leadership developer, and hands-on discipler at our church for years to come. This unique pastoral role requires a heart for hospitality and fellowship, passion for connecting with people regularly, and firm understanding of the challenges of large city ministry.
Key Duties and Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to):
● Support the Community Group (CG) Ministry by overseeing our Church Life Director with vision casting, creating content for leadership training/development and weekly discussion guides, connecting newcomers to CGs, and caring for CG leaders and members.
● Collaborate with our Church Life Director to identify and develop potential CG leaders to serve in future CGs around the city.
● Plant and support 2-3 CGs during fall to late spring seasons.
● Create spaces for fellowship and connection, small and large gatherings in and outside of church and home (potlucks, game/movie nights, coffee meetups, etc.).
● Participate in all required services, staff meetings, church events, and retreats. ● Support Sunday morning pre-service set up and flow of volunteers.
● Assist Senior Pastor in providing pastoral care to members and attendees.
● Devote time throughout the week in the study of God’s Word and prayer, making personal spiritual growth a priority.
● Preach when needed (10-15% of the time).
● Perform other pastoral duties as needed (membership classes, weddings, funerals, baptisms, child dedications, etc).
● 3+ years of ministry leadership experience; degree from accredited seminary preferred.
● Personal commitment to gospel transformation in all areas of life.
● Must have a consistent, personal prayer life, and be committed daily to being in the Word.
● Enthusiastically embraces the vision, mission, and values of the Church of the Beloved.
● Must love spending time with people both one-on-one in an environment of learning, listening, growing and caring, as well as in large-group settings such as events and social gatherings.
● Displays excellent written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
● Demonstrated relational skill in cross-cultural contexts.
● Ability to live and thrive in a large city context with a young, diverse congregation.
● Conversant with large city ministry challenges –transience, cross-cultural issues, socio-economic diversity, etc.
● Self-starter who is creative, motivated and diligent in work product with high commitment to professional excellence.
● Emotionally mature and wise, exercising good judgment and integrity.
● Demonstrates humility, is teachable, approachable, able to coach, and empower others.
● Commits to healthy team dynamics (conflict resolution, collaboration, ability to fail, pursuit of excellence, open communication, etc.).
● Encourages the growth and development of others.
● Manages multiple projects, relationships, and resources simultaneously in a timely manner.
● Commits to personal holiness, growth in grace, and reconciliation in relationships.
How To Apply
Please email [email protected] with a self-introduction, resume, and at least 2 sermon samples. Please answer the following questions in your intro:
● Who are some of your favorite authors?
● What books have been influential in your life and ministry?
● What does your ideal ministry work week look like?
To view the full job description please go to: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18e9ZQp5_8EcGjhz4165WVzsoWVVojXvr/view.