The Associate Rector reports to the Senior Pastor. In addition to general pastoral responsibilities, he or she will serve on the Executive Team and manage several members of the church staff to help direct key functional areas in the accomplishment of the church’s mission.
Core Job Responsibilities
Outreach and the Arts
- Lead the Outreach and Arts (O&A) Team, consisting of the Worship Arts Leader, Communication Manager, Production Engineer and Missions Leader (volunteer), ensuring the effective execution of recurring responsibilities and the fulfillment of the church’s strategic initiatives.
- Spearhead outreach and evangelism events and initiatives as directed by the Senior Pastor and in accordance with Apostles strategic objectives
- Facilitate an annual strategic planning process within the O&A Team, including evaluation of ministry performance; review of mission, vision, and core values; development of key objectives and tactics; and establishment of annual goals.
- Champion the development of infrastructure by all O&A ministries and that support the healthy, long-term growth of the church.
- Establish and maintain a set of key performance measures that provide the Senior Pastor with ongoing visibility of the effectiveness of these areas of the church.
- Partner with the Senior Pastor and Director of Finance and Administration in developing annual financial plans that fund the accomplishment of our mission and meet critical financial objectives such as established cash reserve levels.
- Lead the church’s building programs including capital fundraising campaigns, master planning, design and architecture, contractor selection, and construction.
- Share with other clergy in the liturgical, preaching, discipleship and pastoral care responsibilities of the church.
- Share in the teaching of the faith within the life of the church through adult education (‘Formation Forums’).
- Direct other specialized ministries (e.g. Men’s Ministry) as appropriate.
Core Competencies and Attributes:
Devotion and Joy
- Regularly engages personally with God and serves our community out of the overflow of private devotion.
- Prioritizes emotional and spiritual health and contributes to a cheerful, encouraging work environment.
Unity and Sincerity
- Is gracious, unhurried, and non-anxious in a manner sensitive to and patient with the interpersonal anxieties of others.
- Builds rapport well by being a good listener, resulting in being an “early knower”: one who receives informal and incomplete information in time to do something about it.
- Faces up to people problems on any person or situation quickly and directly in a spirit of seeking reconciliation and truth.
- Does not hold back anything that truly needs to be said, providing current, direct, complete, and “actionable” positive and developmental feedback to others.
- Understands the spiritual/theological vision for Apostles’ ministries so that participants in our community and the general public understand our ethos and corporate aims.
- Easily makes connections among previously unrelated notions – hence tends to be seen as original and value-added in brainstorming sessions.
- Creates a climate in which people want to do their best and thus can motivate many different kinds of team members.
- Assesses each person’s passions and gifts in a way that facilitates that they\\\’re being placed in a role where they can truly shine.
- Empowers others, inviting input from each person in a manner that shares ownership and visibility.
Education and Ordination
- Master of Divinity degree or equivalent
- Ideally, applicants are already ordained as a deacon or priest in the Anglican Church of North America.
- If not ordained in the ACNA, the position will require beginning the ordination process
- Ordination in the Diocese of the Carolinas
How To Apply
Send cover letter, resume and short answers to the following questions (400 words or less) to [email protected].
- Describe your sense of call to vocational pastoral ministry.
- Describe your understanding of the church’s worship.
- Describe your understanding of the role of local church in God’s mission.
- Describe your personal experience with the Holy Spirit.
- How does our Vision and Values resonate with you? What curiosities do you have?
- What is one key thing you would want Apostles to know about you?