Associate Pastor Position Description
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Type of Position: Full Time
Supervision Duties: Nursery Care Coordinator and leaders and volunteers in NextGeneration
Education Requirement: M.Div or its equivalent
Ordination: Must hold and be in good standing, or be working towards ordination with ECO (A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians)
Preferred Experience: 5 years ministry experience, specifically in Next Generation related programming
Salary: 40 hours a week – Salaried Position. Compensation as negotiated, with special consideration given to experience and education
Benefits: Minimum Benefit Guidelines for Bethel Staff as stated in Policy for Full Time Staff
Annual Review: Senior Pastor conducts review after 90 days and annually prior to December 1.
Bethel’s Overview of Next Generation Ministries
A key responsibility for this Associate Pastor is to review, renew, and rebuild the Next Generations Ministries Comprehensive Plan. The major components involve the birth to fifth-grade children in Family and Children’s Ministries. That component smoothly connects to the Student Ministries that extends through high school and feeds into the Young Adults Ministries that attracts and involves young singles, young marrieds, and young marrieds with children and thus completes the Next Generation Circle. In addition, Bethel offers a myriad of opportunities for participating, volunteering, and leading through other ministry teams that could be connected to Next Generation for mentoring and teaching and real-world opportunities for Christian Education and will connect the Next Generation population to the life of the church.
Bethel’s Overview of Congregational Care
The Associate Pastor will lead the Board of Deacons and work cooperatively with the Moderator of the Deacons. Deacons serve as the care ministry team providing monthly contacts with our Covenant Partners; participate in hospital and homebound visits; serve at funerals; and provide leadership for various other ministries that align with their care of the congregation. Deacons also participate in Bethel’s major outreach and evangelism efforts.
As the associate pastor grows into this position he/she will be leading, directing, and growing the Next Generation programming as described in the Next Generation overview and will also have the opportunity to expand the breadth and depth of congregational care—overseeing the care as provided by the Deacons and the Moderator. To achieve this, we are looking for someone who is skilled in the following ways:
- Demonstrates a personal commitment to Jesus Christ, and believes in the Bible as the word of God—the authoritative and relevant guide to our lives.
- Experiences God’s presence in everyday life, spending time each day reading the Bible, praying and listening to the Holy Spirit.
- Believes and adheres to Bethel’s Core Values and ECO’s Essential Tenets.
- Demonstrates a passion to help others know Christ personally and more deeply.
- Communicates God’s word clearly to a variety of ages, educational backgrounds, and spiritual maturity and preaches as invited by the Senior Pastor.
- Leader and cheerleader for children as they grow in their faith, as well as for their parents/guardians to actively disciple their children at home.
- Demonstrates a passion for the Next Generation to know Christ, and possesses a creative and imaginative spirit to help us innovate, grow/influence the surrounding community, and disciple the Next Generation age groups.
- Understands and believes that the Next Generation is as much the church of tomorrow, as they are the church of today.
- Collaborates with the Senior Pastor in building a strong, positive, and pastoral relationship. Takes initiative; is able to be guided and taught; and becomes a strong team member.
- Demonstrates tact, warmth, humor, and the ability to take and delegate responsibility.
- Demonstrates willingness to complete all other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
- In the absence of the Senior Pastor, oversees the daily operation of the office and the building and makes administrative decisions.
- Hold an Infant/Toddler/Child First Aid/AED/CPR Certification or be willing to complete training prior to start of work.
Approved by Bethel’s Personnel Team and the Session on September 26, 2022
For a more in-depth description of the job and our church, visit:
How To Apply
We thank you for your interest in the Associate Pastor position at Bethel Presbyterian Church and ask that all applicants submit the following items for our consideration in filling that position:
- Cover letter that includes the reasons for exploring our opening.
- Statement of Faith.
- Three references who can speak to the applicant’s character, gifts, and relevant experience in ministry leadership, along with email addresses and phone numbers for those references.
- A video of a sermon or a podcast-style sermon or talk.
Applicants may be emailed to: [email protected] or mailed to:
Bethel Presbyterian Church
Attn: Associate Pastor Nominating Committee
1735 bethel Road
Columbus, OH 43220