Victory Baptist Church (Hermiston, OR) – Associate Pastor
The Big Picture
Victory Baptist Church (yourvictory.org) is seeking an Associate Pastor.
Victory Baptist Church is an independent community of Jesus-followers located in downtown Hermiston. Our church was established in October 2000, is financially sound and holds no mortgage on our building. Since March 2011, we have been affiliated with Conservative Baptist Northwest (CBNW). Victory is a warm, loving and generous group of people. Its membership is comprised of ~72 adults and 56 children, ranging in age from infants to eighty-year-olds, coming from a variety of backgrounds, professions and walks of life. We come together, using the different gifts and talents that God has given us, to worship God, build each other up in Christ and reach our community and the world with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Among our distinctives are God’s sovereignty in salvation, plurality of elders and the complementary roles of men and women in the church.
Hermiston is a town of ~19,000. (The combined population of Hermiston and the surrounding smaller towns was ~87,062 at the 2010 census.) The largest and fastest growing town in Eastern OR, it is projected to double in size in the next ten years. It is basically an agricultural community with an ever-expanding foot in the technology industry. Its population is 50% Hispanic.
The Associate Pastor will serve the body of Victory Baptist Church in the biblical role of Elder: teaching the Word of God, serving the body, and equipping the saints for the work of the ministry (Eph 4:12).
The first emphasis is on youth, where chief duties are planning, organizing, and leading the ministry to Jr High and High School students. The philosophy of ministry for youth will be balanced between discipleship and evangelism, creating space for students in our church to grow and invite unbelieving friends.
Job Description – Associate Pastor
The Associate Pastor will have job responsibilities divided between Youth Ministry (60%) and General Ministries (40%).
The Primary Responsibilities are:
- Develop, promote, maintain a vibrant youth (Jr and Sr High age groups) ministry.
- Lead a team of volunteers in Youth ministries and programs such as Sunday School, Youth Group, Summer camps, and special activities.
- Work with the Lead Pastor to ensure youth are integrated into the life of the church and not in a silo.
- Engage with parents and provide resources for families in navigating adolescence.
- The Associate Pastor will meet with the Lead Pastor on a regular basis to coordinate the needs of the church and perform duties as assigned.
- Preach on regular basis, up to 12 times per year. This could be worked into a development plan with Lead Pastor.
- Other duties could include administration, maintenance, technology, visitation, and various other ministries.
- The Associate Pastor must be willing to serve in any capacity as needed and as matches the gifting of the individual.
- Participate in the body life as both staff and as a member of the church.
Approximate Hours/Week: 45-50
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Mature and growing relationship with Jesus.
- Meets the qualifications for an Elder is 1 Timothy and Titus.
- Understands and affirms Church statement of faith and identity documents.
- Able to lead and teach others in pursuit of God’s truth and maturity.
- Three-Five years of involvement in ministry (leader, member, or combination), or an equivalent amount of education. Consistent and reliable volunteer experience is acceptable.
- Comfortable with computers and standard Office Software such as MS Word and Google Sheets/Docs/Drive.
- Adaptable and teachable. Capable of learning new systems and programs.
- College Degree in Ministry, preferably from a Bible College or Seminary.
- Three years of experience leading a Youth Ministry.
- Experience with Planning Center and other applicable software.
How To Apply
Please look over this job description and the church website. Along with your resume please answer these questions:
- Why do you believe that you might be a good fit as the Associate Pastor for Victory Baptist Church?
- Describe your experiences in ministry and how you may be qualified to serve as the Associate Pastor at Victory Baptist Church?
- In just a few sentences please give a summary of your theology and how that is in line with the doctrine of Victory Baptist Church?
Please send your resume, the answers to these questions and a link to at least one online sermon to [email protected].