Christ’s American Baptist Church
Associate Pastor of Youth, Young Adults, and Discipleship
The Associate Pastor is a full-time position at Christ’s American Baptist Church, Spring Grove, PA. This person will report directly to the Senior Pastor and serve under the direction of the CABC Elder Board.
In this role, the staff member is responsible for the development and continuation of programs that promote youth, young adults, and discipleship at Christ’s American Baptist Church. This position is charged with discipling the spiritual growth of youth and young adults, guiding them in discovering and developing their spiritual gifts, and assisting them in applying their gifts in service, discipleship, and worship at CABC, in their communities, and in the world.
The primary concern for this Associate Pastor will be the youth ministry, but will also work to develop a plan and a team to oversee ministry programs for CABC’s young adults. Eventually, once these two ministries are thriving, the Associate Pastor will take on the increased responsibility as the contact person for CABC’s discipleship ministry teams. Although the Associate Pastor will be spending most of their time supporting the Youth and Young Adult ministries, it is the desire of the Elder Board of CABC that this Associate Pastor be committed to the discipleship of the entire body of CABC. This will involve helping to bridge these two parts of our church in overseeing the transition from youth and young adults into worshipfully serving adult members and strengthening the relationships between these various groups.
This person must be relational, display spiritual maturity, clearly communicate an understanding of the Bible, and be a leader with a passion for youth, young adults, and discipleship.
- An applicant who is an ordained pastor with seminary training (M.Div. or equivalent) is preferred.
- A candidate with strong, relevant youth/young adult ministry experience who is willing to pursue ordination may be considered.
- Must have a vital Christian experience which includes a passion for the discipleship of youth and young adults.
- Must be a follower of God who is called as a pastor/teacher and committed to introducing people to Jesus while equipping them for service.
- Must be passionate about leading others from a basic and simple faith to becoming spiritually mature and productive for the Lord.
- Must possess strong abilities in communication (both written and oral) and administration to build healthy relationships and teams.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks and be a team player.
- Must be able to live a positive Christian lifestyle in accordance with the Bible.
- Must commit to work within CABC’s vision of helping youth and young adults from all walks and cultures of life become fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ.
- Must become a worshiping Christ’s American Baptist Church member upon employment and, thereafter, remain a member in good standing in regular attendance and participation.
Relationships and Appointment
The Associate Pastor will:
- Report to the Senior Pastor and Elder Board.
- Be evaluated after one month, three months, and six months in the position by the Senior Pastor, and Staff-Relations representative.
- Be evaluated annually thereafter by the Senior Pastor, and Staff-Relations representative.
- The appointment of a candidate to the position of Associate Pastor will follow the procedures defined in the church policies and procedures manual and By-Laws.
Youth and Young Adult Ministry –
- Responsible for youth and young adult outreach and discipleship events within our congregation.
- This will involve the development of a ministry support and growth plan and the oversight of strategies for the fulfillment of this plan.
- Responsible for age-defined and age-appropriate Sunday classes for youth and young adults.
- This will involve the planning, coordination and oversight of programs and the recruitment, training, and oversight of volunteers to accomplish these ministries.
- All curriculum, topics, instructors/speakers must be approved by the Senior Pastor prior to publishing classes.
- It is expected that programs, activities, and events are purposeful, methodical, and planned with some component of flexibility.
- Specific activity expectations include but are not limited to:
- Sunday classes for youth and young adults.
- Conducting a Wednesday night program for youth.
- Having a program and/or home group for young adults.
- Going on short term mission trips, retreats and special events as applicable.
- Developing and maintaining a volunteer core.
- Developing and maintaining a social media presence.
- Prepare and submit an annual budget proposal.
- Once approved, monitor and maintain accountability to the budget on a monthly basis.
- Prepare and submit an annual report to the congregation by reviewing overall vision, purpose, and goals of the ministry.
- Prepare and submit a quarterly plan of all curriculum, activities, speakers, events and trips for approval to the Senior Pastor.
- Update the Senior Pastor with changes as they occur and implement approved plans.
- The Associate Pastor will assist CABC members and attendees to know, develop, and use their spiritual gifts in ministry and will build relationships with those individuals to encourage and foster their spiritual growth.
- Toward this end, the Associate Pastor will also serve as the point-of-contact person for the heads of CABC’s discipleship ministries (including, but not necessarily limited to, School of Christian Living, Men’s Ministry, Women’s Ministry, MOPS, and Small Group Ministries).
- This individual will help coordinate their efforts in providing the opportunities necessary to develop followers of Jesus Christ who strive to become mature and faithful believers.
- Help with the oversight and duties of the church as directed by the Senior Pastor and Elder Board.
- Preach from the pulpit as necessary, in consultation with the Senior Pastor.
- Be passionate about the Scriptures being the Word of God as well as the centerpiece of this ministry.
- After successfully acclimating to the position, the Associate Pastor will assist the Senior Pastor in leading and evaluating assigned staff.
- In discussion with the Senior Pastor and Elder Board, other duties may be assigned.
- Appropriately use and maintain church property, materials and vehicles.
Goals and Personal Growth
- Have and maintain a growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Regularly attend Sunday church services.
- Maintain a healthy work-family balance.
- Seek out training and seminars as needed and available relating to areas of your overall assignment.
- Establish and work towards annual ministry goals as approved by Senior Pastor.
- It is understood that this job description is flexible in terms of hours, emphasis, and particular assignments.