Southport Presbyterian Church (EPC) is a midsized church on the Southside of Indianapolis. We are seeking an Associate Pastor of Outreach and Missions to join our team as a third pastor and lead us in our outward-focused ministries. Our discipleship strategy at Southport Presbyterian Church is to Look Up, Lean In, and Move Out. We want our congregation to Look Up and find their ultimate hope and affection in God, to Lean In and develop trusting, gospel-centered relationships within the community of faith, and then Move Out into our diverse community and trust Jesus to use them in the lives of others.
The three pastors will work in a collaborative manner to achieve our discipleship strategy. The Senior Pastor’s primary focus is Looking Up and the Associate Pastor of Discipleship’s primary focus is Leaning In. The Associate Pastor of Outreach and Missions will help us develop structures related to the Moving Out component of our strategy and discipling our congregation to have a heart for those outside the church.
Responsibilities for the Associate Pastor of Outreach and Missions include the following:
- Growing and leading a volunteer engagement team.
- Providing leadership to our four family fun events each year.
- Equipping and training us to relevantly spread the gospel on the Southside of Indianapolis and around the world.
- Strengthening our relationships with strategic partners (Mary Bryan Elementary School, Shepherd Community Center, etc.).
- Helping us to improve our outreach to young families in our diverse community including families whose children are in our Welcome Place Childcare.
- Overseeing our Global Missions Team.
Since this is a new position, the ideal candidate will have strong process-building skills as we are creating new ministry processes.
This person must meet the educational requirements (M.Div. or equivalent) and be ordained or be able to be ordained in the Evangelical Presbyterian Church. We encourage all who feel called to apply, whether you are a recent seminary graduate or have decades of experience. Recognizing our changing community has diverse demographics, it would be helpful for the candidate to have direct life experiences with or compassion towards underrepresented persons and populations.
In order to be successful in this position, the candidate will need to have strong organizational skills, the ability to recruit and lead teams, good self-management practices, and a strong leadership presence to motivate and engage our church family in Moving Out with the gospel. We are not seeking someone to do outreach for us but to equip our community to mobilize and live Great Commission lives.