Title: Associate Pastor of Youth & Young Adults
Accountable to: Senior Pastor/Head of Staff
Position Summary of Purpose: To demonstrate a vibrant, vital, and growing relationship with God through Jesus Christ and a commitment to the mission of reaching youth and young adults with the gospel, growing them as disciples, supporting of each other and sending them out to be the body of Christ in the world.
Overall leadership and implementation of youth programs (Grades 6-12)
- Build relationships with all youth and their parents.
- Must have an understanding of youth culture in order to equip youth with the tools they need to follow Christ.
- Recruit, equip and support adult volunteers to assist in youth ministry in cooperation with the Christian Education Committee.
- Recruit and schedule participation of the youth in all-church fellowship and/or service events such as Adventures in Faith, Easter egg hunt, Operation Christmas Child, etc.
- Design, direct, promote and implement activities outside the church walls to engage youth and friends to generate enthusiasm in a safe Christian environment.
Overall leadership and implementation of college & young adult programs (ages 18-30)
- Build relationships with all college age youth and young adults.
- Coordinate ministry to college & young adults throughout the school year calendar through small groups and/or Sunday school.
- Provide ministry experiences for college students returning home for summer and seasonal breaks.
- Use discernment in the recruitment of this age group to assist with ministry to children and youth.
Assisting the Senior Pastor/Head of Staff
- Share with the Pastor, when called upon, in the leadership of Sunday worship and special services throughout the year.
- Share preaching responsibilities, when called upon, particularly when other pastors are away.
- Share with the Pastor in the church’s ongoing pastoral ministry to the church’s membership, particularly as it relates to families of youth and young adults, and which will include visiting those in hospitals as well as meeting with those seeking counsel.
- Share with the Pastor in assessing our church’s strengths/weaknesses in how to implement intergenerational ministry most effectively.
Partnering with the Associate Pastor of Intergenerational Ministry & Christian Education
- Provide support as it relates to family ministry and discipleship in the church.
- Coordinate, with his/her input, youth & young adult programming that integrates well with the scheduling of family ministry.
- Think creatively and discern together ways to implement intergenerational ministry that can effectively reach the church family together.
- Attend monthly Session meetings.
- Participate in regular staff meetings and calendar planning meetings.
- Participate in annual staff performance review.
- Participate in the CE Committee and engage with other committees when called upon.
- Be available to accept invitations to lead events or workshops in others settings or churches, as approved by the Senior Pastor/Head of Staff.
- Participate in professional support groups, continuing education and training events; participation in these has to be in consultation with the Senior Pastor.
- Secure all required documentation required for church sponsored events and church policies.
- Any other duties as deemed necessary by the Senior Pastor.
From the Personnel Committee of FPC:
Welcome to First Presbyterian Church of Mooresville, NC. We are a thriving church whose membership has remained strong throughout the pandemic and continues to grow today. FPC have approximately 500 members with about 300 participating in worship each Sunday. We are seeking an Associate Pastor of Youth & Young Adults.
FPC has a great compensation package. We offer a very competitive salary plus unmatched insurance benefit. Our medical insurance is a high deductible health plan through BCBS. The insurance is offered to our full-time staff plus to their family at no charge. First Presbyterian will also establish a fully funded Health Savings Account so each staff member will not have any cost associated with medical insurance. The church will contribute the equivalent of 11% of your salary to your retirement account as well. We also offer disability insurance, life insurance and a generous vacation package. The church also will provide you with a professional allowance. Please consider First Presbyterian as you continue your search.
Reimbursement Policy: Follow Reimbursement Policy procedures established by the Finance Committee, including reconciliation of receipts and invoices and completion of necessary forms. Receipts and invoices must be turned into the Treasurer by the fifteenth (15th) of each month.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be a dynamic, enthusiastic, creative, and inspirational leader who radiates the joy of Christ.
- Must be of high moral character and integrity and be humble and sincere servant led by Christ.
- Must value tradition, but also have a vision for the future.
- Must have good communication and listening skills.
- Must have strong administrative skills necessary for planning, scheduling, managing budgets, taking care of ministry space, coordinating transportation, etc.
- Must demonstrate good rapport with all ages and be a team player with staff.
- Must demonstrate commitment to the overall mission of the church.
- Must have the ability to teach the basic tenants of the Christian faith and how to apply these to life situations.
Education and Experience:
- Must have an Undergraduate degree (seminary degree preferred).
- Must have a willingness to be ordained by ECO and sign off on the ECO tenants.
- Must have demonstrated leadership in ministries in a church setting.
- Must have a basic understanding of ECO polity and procedures.
How To Apply
Please Submit the Following…
- Cover letter stating your interest in the position.
- A Personal Statement (2-3 pages max), that gives both autobiographical information and qualities that may make you suitable for this position.
- A brief Statement of Faith.
Please send to:
Phil Heilman/Chair of Search Team: [email protected]
Dave Rockness/Head of Staff: [email protected]