SCBC the Church
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is a trilingual (English, Cantonese and Mandarin) multigenerational church with about 1,800 members. We are strategically located in Scarborough, Greater Toronto Area, which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural areas in North America. We strive to serve the local community and beyond seeking to be a blessing to all peoples.
Please visit our website at www.scbc.com.
SCBC is committed to making the church relevant and engaging for the younger generation. For this goal/vision, we need a pastor with a passion to reach the next generation for Jesus! The Youth Pastor will be mainly responsible for the continued development and leadership of a dynamic youth ministry (Jr & Sr High School). The ideal candidate is one who has a passion for and is committed to coming alongside students to provide spiritual and visionary leadership by creating authentic environments for fellowship, worship, biblical teaching, discipleship and evangelism. This role will also partner with and equip parents to disciple their own children.
The Youth Pastor will work with our Next Gen pastoral team, deacons, and lay leaders to help our younger generation come to KNOW Jesus, GROW in their relationship with Him, and GO out into the world to make a difference. We want to develop a discipling process that helps young people grow consistently as disciples and leaders, as they cross different life stages, while building partnerships between church, home and the community.
This role will help us shape our intergenerational church, reach out to draw families into the body and/or community of our church family, and ensure that we are all working together to make disciples of the next generation. In this collaborative effort to holistically minister and support the discipleship of our younger generation, the Youth Pastor will be equipped with space and resources to make a significant Kingdom impact. This position reports to the English Ministry Charge Pastor.
- Build intentional ministry strategies and environments to help youth meet, know and follow Jesus.
- Develop and maintain relationships, shepherding and discipling youth and volunteers in their relationship with Christ.
- Develop, oversee, and execute an ongoing Youth Ministry including but not limited to:
- Weekly youth ministry programs – Friday nights Youth Group (large group/small group gathering).
- Special events (camps, retreats, summer activities, opportunities to serve etc.).
- Missions involvement – service environments, outreach events and inviting friends and neighbors into the community.
- A teaching/curriculum plan – creating biblically accurate, culturally relevant, Spirit-led, and disciple-teaching content.
- Recruit and retain a healthy volunteer leadership team that is passionate about the youth.
- Train leaders and provide resources for volunteers to grow in their leadership abilities.
- In collaboration with the Next Gen Pastoral team, plan for and execute strong transitions for incoming 6thgraders and outgoing 12th graders.
- Work collaboratively with the Next Gen Pastoral team to provide pastoral care to Next Gen youth and families.
- Partner with parents through providing resources, training, and intentional experiences, to equip parents to be the spiritual leaders and succeed in their role as the primary disciple-makers of their kids.
- Maintain a strategy for reaching and connecting new Next Gen and families into our church community.
- Develop and maintain an online presence via social media platforms to maintain communication with students, parents, the congregation, and community with information regarding youth ministry events and programming.
- Collaborate with Communications Team(s) where necessary.
- Implement all necessary policies and procedures in support of providing a safe environment for youth and volunteers.
General Pastoral Responsibilities
- Participate in general pastoral duties such as preaching, visitation, pastoral counselling and other leadership roles as assigned by the Sr. Pastor and English Ministry Charge Pastor.
- Co-work with the Next Gen Pastoral and ministry team in building up intergenerational ministries.
- Co-work with the Outreach Pastor and the ministry team to provide leadership in reaching out to the community.
- Provide clear communication with regards to ministry progress, results, and obstacles to the Sr. Pastor and the Next Gen Pastoral Team.
- Assist in the development of annual budgets for his/her areas of responsibility with the input of his/her ministry team(s).
- Collaborate and work closely with current lay leaders in building up a Christ-centered, Scriptural-based church community of vibrant faith, hope and love.
- Join the current SCBC pastoral staff in serving a multi-lingual, multi-cultural and multi-generational evangelical church of 1,500+ regular Sunday attendance.
Capabilities and Characteristics
- Mature faith in Jesus Christ, godly character, a strong commitment and calling to serve the local church (1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:6-9, 1 Peter 5:1-4).
- An authentic and proven passion for making disciples and reaching the next generation.
- Can clearly teach and illustrate Biblical concepts focusing on reaching those who are not Christians and discipling those who are in Christ.
- Ability to think strategically and involve others in all levels of the disciple-making process.
- Ability to implement a strategic vision with creative out of the box ideas.
- Team player with strong servant-leadership and communication skills within a large multi-generation congregational context.
- Energetic, resourceful and innovative in ministry as well as leadership development.
- Strong relational skills and compassionate understanding of personal issues – ability to communicate effectively with Next Gen and families.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- High capacity with the ability to adapt and problem-solve.
- Good understanding of the challenges and opportunities in a digital world and familiar with the use of social media platforms for communication purposes is an asset.
- Willingness to get to know and do life together with leaders, always seeking to keep short accounts, care for, encourage, respect, encourage, and love each other.
- Be a self-starter with drive and passion, and a continual learner.
- Assent to the Statement of Faith, purpose and mission of SCBC and to comply with Baptist faith and practices.
Qualifications and Educational Requirements
- Minimum 3 Years of experience in a church or para-church ministry. Experience in Children, Youth, and/or College Ministry an asset.
- A Master Degree of Divinity (M Div.) or its equivalent in theological education from an Association of Theological Schools (ATS) accredited institution preferred.
- Proficient in English (written and orally).
- Spoken Cantonese/Mandarin an asset.
- Ability to pass a background check.
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume detailing how you meet the job requirements as soon as possible to [email protected] or by mail to:
Search Committee for Youth Pastor
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church
3223 Kennedy Road
Please quote “Associate Pastor – Youth” in the subject line.
As pastors of SCBC need to have frequent contacts with the congregants and others in the community, all applicants must declare their COVID vaccination status in their application cover letters—whether they have been fully or partially vaccinated. If offered conditional employment with SCBC, all candidates must provide proof of their COVID full vaccination before the employment start date. If candidates request COVID vaccination accommodation based on medical or other valid reasons, such requests will be considered by the Search Committee.
SCBC is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted by a Pastoral Search Committee member in relation to an employment opportunity, please make your accommodation request, if necessary, at that time. We will take accommodation measures to provide you with a barrier-free selection process. All accommodation requests will be treated confidentially.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.