Wheaton Chinese Alliance Church (WCAC) is a part of The Christian & Missionary Alliance family and shares the vision of the C&MA DNA to see All of Jesus for All the World.
Our history and demographic identity as a church can be traced back to 1978, when Rev. David Wong founded WCAC to reach the Chinese community in Wheaton, IL. With the growth of Chinese believers and their children who grew up in the American society speaking only English, WCAC has grown to become a church that is intergenerational, multilingual and multicultural.
Today, WCAC is a 1:3:1 church. We are 1 family in Christ, we speak 3 languages, and we share 1 mission. As one church with three language-based services and distinct cultures, we strive to understand and love one another with unity in heart, mind, and purpose. We are one family traveling on the same path towards the same goal.
Wheaton Chinese Alliance Church (WCAC) is searching for a full-time Cantonese Pastor to serve alongside the Senior Pastor, other pastors, and lay elders, to lead and guide our various language ministries in fulfilling our God-given vision and mission.
The congregational pastor will perform general pastoral duties, including:
- Planning worship services,
- Preaching and teaching,
- Leading the church in effective local and global evangelism and in community outreach,
- Leading the church in visiting and caring for members and prospects,
- Leading and mentoring lay ministry leaders,
- Collaborating closely with other pastoral staff and church leaders to serve the whole church, and
- Engaging with our denominational and regional network of pastors and churches.
The qualities and qualifications for this position include the following:
- Believe the Bible to be God’s Word and affirm the C&MA Statement of Faith (https://www.cmalliance.org/about/beliefs/doctrine);
- Meet the qualifications of an elder, as listed in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:6-9;
- Be an ordained Christian & Missionary Alliance (C&MA) minister, or be able to be ordained as a C&MA minister and satisfy the qualifications of the C&MA for pastors;
- Demonstrate a pastor’s heart, a deep love for God, His Word and people;
- Called by God and aspiring to the office of pastoral ministry;
- A record that reveals the moral qualities, academic training, doctrinal stability; academically, a MDiv degree or equivalent is preferred;
- A record that reveals spiritual insight and understanding of church ministry;
- Reflect maturity in multicultural and multigenerational relationships;
- North American ministry experience preferred;
- Able and willing to work in a team, with the other pastors and elders, to shepherd God’s church, prioritizing the good of the whole church rather than focus on one language congregation only; and
- Able to preach in Cantonese and be able to participate in meetings in English.
How To Apply
Applicants should provide the following materials. All materials are held in confidence by the pastoral search committee and the elders. We would appreciate receiving the materials in digital form ([email protected]):
- Brief description of your background and why you want to be our pastor;
- Your personal testimony and declaration of faith, including your calling to full-time Christian ministry and growth experience;
- Your approach to pastoral ministry and service;
- Your curriculum vitae or resume;
- Two recent sermons (digital files). If there is no recording, please provide sermon notes;
- Brief description of your family situation, including recent personal and family photos; and
- The names of at least three references, including those who have observed you in ministry.
Please direct questions by email to the search committee chair: Fred Hickernell ([email protected]).