The church pianist is a committed Christian willing to help fulfill the mission of WSBC, who provides the lead instrument (piano) for worship services and other activities in support of the music ministry of the church.
Job Description: This year round position is defined as salaried (no overtime pay) and part-time. Expectation of attendance is for Sunday worship service, rehearsals with the praise band and choir after the worship service and other times during the week as needed, and other special services, including (but not limited to) Christmas Eve and Good Friday. Sunday time commitment is from 9:30am to 12:30pm or 1pm. The work is done cooperatively with the pastoral staff, the praise band, and international choir.
- A disciple of Jesus Christ, committed to growing in faith through practicing the spiritual disciplines of prayer, Scripture reading, worship participation, and service at and beyond WSBC.
- Experience in church worship, with both piano and other musical instruments involved.
- Flexibility to play in various styles including traditional hymns, contemporary Christian, and gospel.
- Knowledge of the piano instrument and keyboard ability sufficient to play hymns, contemporary worship songs and gospel, as well as accompany groups and individuals. Ability to sight-read and improvise is desired.
- Ability to read chord charts and lead sheets.
- Knowledge of basic music theory and ability to perform simple transpositions or re-harmonizations.
- Willingness to rehearse sufficiently to maintain a high quality of music.
- Sensitivity and the ability to interact with a variety of people in a team setting.
- Some knowledge of technology would be helpful (sound systems, microphones, etc.). Do not have to be an experienced operator however.
- Experience in worship leading (prayer, Scriptural transitions, etc.) considered a plus.
Accountability: The Church Pianist is accountable to the Pastor. However, the Music Committee, along with the Pastor is responsible for hiring and firing (per WSBC Bylaws).
How To Apply
Please send an email cover letter indicating your interest to: [email protected]. Resume is optional.