Director of Local Outreach
Ministry Division: World Outreach
The Director of Local Outreach is responsible for developing and implementing the church’s local outreach strategy. This strategy includes personal outreach (relational and servant evangelism), partnering outreach (working with local and regional ministry partners), and planting outreach (planting churches locally and in the region).
Candidate Attributes and Qualifications:
To be effective in this role, a successful candidate will be a growing, committed disciple of Jesus Christ. Candidates must be Evangelical and Baptistic in convictions, and ascribe to Valley’s Affirmations of Faith as contained in the church Constitution. The candidate should possess many of the following core gifts, passions, and qualifications:
- Personal commitment to model Christian disciplines.
- Conviction that Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation, and that all people should have the opportunity to hear this truth expressed in their own language and culture, and a sensitivity toward issues of culture and justice.
- Conviction that the Great Commission (Matthew 28:19-20) will be empowered by the prayers and actions of the local church.
- A heart for lost people and personal commitment to God’s world mission.
- Active in sharing the Gospel, and able to train others to do the same.
- Recognition that congregational/staff mobilization is key to Valley’s local outreach.
- A collaborative style of leading up and down in the organization (as opposed to a top-down authoritarian style of leadership).
- Personality attributes: Self-starter, entrepreneurial, outgoing.
- Successful ministry leadership experience, demonstrated by a significant ability to lead, direct, and minister through others.
- History of successfully applying administrative, organizational, management, and networking skills.
- Three to five years successful experience leading ministry with significant outreach, preferably in a large-church setting.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master of Divinity or Missiology degree preferred.
- Provide compelling leadership for Valley Local Outreach. Develop long-range local outreach ministry strategies. Prepare an annual ministry plan and budget that includes personal, partnering, and planting outreach. Execute ministry based on the annual budget.
- Provide oversight, development, and shepherding of the Local Outreach Team (LOT). Develop key members of the LOT and other local outreach champions (who might serve as future LOT leaders).
- Integrate Local Outreach into other Valley ministry divisions. Assist other Valley ministry Pastors/Directors in developing local outreach ministry plans and service opportunities. Coordinate with staff members to drive overall congregational participation in local outreach.
- Work with local ministry partners to accomplish Local Outreach. Maintain regular connection with local partners to provide care, learn how to best support their work, and connect Valley members to their ministry. Develop connections and coordinate with other ministries in the region such as church networks, non-profit organizations, and local community social service organizations. Provide leadership and guidance to outreach ministries in the region. Identify opportunities for joint ministry.
- Increase personal participation in Local Outreach. Develop and encourage prayer for lost people. Oversee training of all people involved in local outreach ministries. Lead evangelism training and service evangelism events for staff and lay members. Teach Communities and other groups as requested. Encourage a culture of outreach at Valley.
- Model healthy personal and spiritual practices. This includes spiritual disciplines, relationships, accountability, prayer, and development.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Key Working Relationships:
- Reports to the Pastor of World Outreach.
- Functions cooperatively as a member of Valley’s ministry staff team.
- Works collaboratively with the Local Outreach Team to develop and implement the vision and long-range plans for Local Outreach.
- Collaborates with other ministry staff to advance Local Outreach goals through the ministries of the church.
Other Details and Important Information:
- Exempt: Yes.
- Status: Full-time (40 hours per week)
- Date: January 25, 2023
- Posted by: Pastor of World Outreach
All employees of Valley are at-will, and as such, are free to resign any time without reason. Valley, likewise, retains the right to terminate an employee’s employment at any time with or without reason or notice. Nothing contained in this job description or any other document provided to the employee is intended to be, nor should it be, construed as a guarantee that employment or any benefit will continue for any period of time.
How To Apply
Interested individuals should forward a cover letter, resume, written testimony, and call to ministry to:
Pastor of World Outreach
Valley Community Baptist Church
590 West Avon Rd, Avon, CT 06001
OR Email the four documents to:
- Asher Sarjent, Pastor of World Outreach: [email protected]
- Kate Miller, Outreach Administrative Assistant: [email protected]
No phone calls, please.