Director of Senior and Outreach Ministries (Cantonese)
Job Title: Director of Senior and Outreach Ministries (Cantonese)
Job Type: Full-time Exempt
Church Description: Founded in 1961, Boston Chinese Evangelical Church (BCEC) is located in Boston Chinatown, with an additional campus at Newton, Massachusetts. Based upon pre-pandemic information, our typical Sunday attendance is over 1,400 people in our 6 worship services at two campuses. Each campus comprises three different congregations (Cantonese, English, Mandarin). There are about 400 people in the Chinatown Cantonese congregation, 130 in the Chinatown Mandarin congregation, 140 in the Newton Cantonese congregation, 70 in the Newton Mandarin congregation.
The Pastoral Staff: We have a multi-staff pastoral team led by a Senior Pastor.
The Position: The Director of Senior and Outreach Ministries will minister primarily (but not exclusively) to the Cantonese congregations in the areas of senior pastoral care and outreach under the supervision of the lead Chinese pastor. The ideal candidate must be a strong leader, have passion in these two areas of ministries, and be able to provide training to lay leaders to engage and empower them in these ministries.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and coordinate senior ministry that aims at providing religious lessons, hobby classes, workshops of topics relevant to the needs of seniors, and recreational activities to promote their spiritual, physical and emotional health.The objectives of the senior ministry are both pastoral and evangelistic. The participants can be seniors from the Chinese (primarily but not exclusively Cantonese) congregations and those from the Boston and Newton community.
- Lead the Local Evangelism Department of Chinatown by working with its members to devise strategic outreach plans and develop evangelistic programming.
- Responsibilities include, but not limited to: meeting with and giving support to the department members, planning and executing with the department year-round evangelistic programming, mobilizing and providing training to the Cantonese congregations in evangelism, coordinating the evangelistic visitation ministry, and establishing a follow up system to nourish new Christians to become stable church participants.
- Recruit and train up lay leaders to staff the above ministries.
- Preach in Sunday Services and teach Adult Sunday School as needed.
- Provide pastoral leadership to and disciple Cantonese senior fellowships.
- Officiate funerals for deceased church members.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- A seasoned Christian with preferably two or more years of proven experience in senior and/or outreach ministries. Skills in coordinating senior programs and activities and work experience in a senior center are strongly preferred.
- Ministry experience in a Chinese heritage church.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills to effectively lead in these ministries.
- Solid communication skills: fluent in Cantonese and able to communicate in English; Conversational Mandarin is a plus.
- Graduate degree from seminary, or equivalent training and/or proven experience.
- A team player.
- Agrees to become a member of BCEC.
How To Apply
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and résumé by email to: Personnel Deacon (Email address: [email protected])
References: Please include the names and contacts of two references with your application. Upon review of your resume, we will request a submission of two letters of reference.