Director of Student Ministries
Calvary by the Sea Lutheran Church – Honolulu, Hawai’i
Aloha! Calvary by the Sea (CBTS) is a Jesus-centered community pursuing holy and poetic promises. We are inclusive, intentional, and involved: doing justice through feeding our island, uplifting our village elders, prioritizing young people and families with children, advocating for racial unity and equity, welcoming and affirming our LGBTQIA+ community and welcoming ecumenical friends across all faith traditions and denominations. We truly welcome all people and celebrate God’s diversity of humanity in the world.
Our oceanfront sanctuary blesses many locally and globally. We are home to one of the largest food banks in O’ahu (Angel Network Charities) and serve the community’s children through our Montessori School. We are in a season of spiritual and numerical growth. Come join God’s work in Hawai’i and be part of a diverse and young ministry team doing good work! Learn more about us at www.calvarybythesea.org
We are so excited to be calling a full-time Director of Student Ministries. The primary role and purpose of this position is to provide leadership and vision to all student ministries while developing a group of volunteers to assist with this growing ministry.
- Encourage students to attend weekly and Sunday experiences.
• Grow student ministries both numerically and spiritually.
• Enhance the design of weekly student experiences to engage students.
• Recruit volunteers to serve within student ministries.
- Prioritize the hearts and souls of all students and parents.
- Function as the primary ministry team member relating to student ministries.
• Plan and implement age-appropriate activities that promote fellowship, fun and faith.
• Work in close collaboration with the ministry team for the overall vision of the church.
• Promote Sunday worship among students and encourage participation in worship.
- Participate in Sunday worship to engage students and parents.
- Demonstrate a passionate love and commitment for Christ.
- Be a role model, a Christlike leader and example for young people.
- Have a personal call to nurture and counsel students with their faith.
- Demonstrate spiritual maturity, a life of prayer and theologically grounded.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of ministry experience, working in a church setting.
- Willingness to serve as other duties are assigned.
- Maintain regularly scheduled office hours for availability.
- Notify Senior Pastor prior to all unforeseen and untimely absences from regularly scheduled experiences for students and provide a suitable substitute in the case of anticipated absence.
- Complete a monthly report for the Congregational Council and an annual report for the congregation.
- Attend weekly ministry team meetings.
- Inform congregation of student activities through (social media, emails, posters, announcements, website, etc…).
CBTS is looking for a creative self-starter and down to earth team player who is living in the moment, willing to step in and support the greater cause and mission of the church. Going beyond one’s ministry department by lending a hand wherever needed. Able to handle conflict in a healthy manner. This individual needs to have church ministry experience, be theologically open and evolving, willing to welcome the LGBTQIA+ community in our church, prioritize the young generation and include ecumenical friends across various denominational and religious traditions. Willing to be an agent of cultural renewal, to diversify our student program, while acknowledging the local Hawaiian cultural context. We live in one of the most beautiful places in the world. If you enjoy being close to beaches, hiking, surfing, paddle boarding, snorkeling, boogie boarding, kayaking or just love sunsets and great Asian cuisine, then you are coming to the right place.
Compensation and Benefits:
Competitive salary based on experience, education, and qualifications, paid medical and dental insurance, generous vacation package, Hawai’i state holidays and flexible work schedule. This position is a full-time salaried position and moving costs may be discussed if needed. Ministry team children ages (2-5) years old receive significant tuition discount from our Montessori School. Certain duties and hours will vary on a seasonal basis throughout the year.
This position will report directly to the Senior Pastor.
All interviewed candidates will be subject to a thorough background check. References required.
How To Apply
How to apply?
- Email an introduction letter sharing, why you feel called to this position?
- Email video links of recent student activity or experience that you planned and led.
- Email us your resume.
Send all information to:
The Rev. Dr. Moses D. Barrios, Senior Pastor