Director of Student Ministries
The Director of Student Ministries is a member of the professional staff of the church and the position is a full-time position. This person is responsible to plan, organize and administer a middle school, high school, and college-age ministry that is fully integrated within the life of the congregation. Leading the volunteer staff, this individual will develop a student ministry which incorporates a healthy blend and balance of worship, fellowship, discipleship, ministry, and mission that is distinct and at the same time well integrated with the doctrinal beliefs and multi-generational life, vision and ministry of Goshen Baptist Church.
Accountability to the church is through the Elders and is implemented under the direction of the Senior Pastor. This position reports directly to the Senior Pastor and coordinates closely with all ministry staff and with Deacons/Deaconesses whose areas intersect with student ministries.
The Director of Student Ministries must have strong, deeply rooted doctrinal beliefs and ministry values that are consistent with those of Goshen Baptist Church as stated in the Mission and Vision, Statement of Faith, Church Covenant, and Philosophy of Worship and Music (click to access documents). Specifically, this individual must believe the following points of doctrine (which serve to summarize the GBC Statement of Faith):
- The Bible is the authoritative Word of God, inerrant in the original manuscripts.
- The triune Godhead in Three Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- The deity of Jesus Christ, his virgin birth, sinless life, death, and bodily resurrection.
- Man is a sinner by nature and choice and therefore is spiritually dead apart from Christ.
- Salvation is by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.
- The everlasting blessing of the saved and the everlasting punishment of the unsaved.
- Christ’s commission to the church to go and make disciples among neighbors near and far, even reaching out to all the people groups of the world.
- Plan and direct all aspects of the middle school, high school, and college-age ministries, with the goal of befriending, evangelizing, and discipling students within the church and from the community.
- This position requires both regular office hours and varying amounts of time spent out of the office ministering to students and connecting with their families.
- Recruit, train and supervise the volunteer leadership staff working with and teaching middle school, high school, and college-age students.
- Oversee Sunday school for middle school, high school, and college age students.
- Foster spiritual growth through small groups for middle school, high school, and college-age students within the student ministry of GBC.
- Organize, plan, and promote times of fellowship and activities for students, such as retreats, conferences, camps, ministry events, and other activities, for the purposes of relationship building and spiritual growth.
- Provide timely updates, communicate to, and involve parents of students in the activities of the ministry, and seek to integrate new youth and their parents into the body of GBC.
- In consultation with the Senior Pastor, be responsible to choose and/or develop the teaching curriculum for each of the student programs, ensuring that all materials are in accord with the doctrinal beliefs of GBC and appropriate to the needs of the students.
- Work to integrate students into congregational life and church ministries beyond student- centered gatherings and activities.
- In consultation with the Senior Pastor, communicate with and, as appropriate, plan and organize events with other like-minded local churches and youth groups.
- Recommend and manage the approved annual student ministries budget.
- Submit a yearly statement of goals and objectives for consideration in one’s performance review by the Senior Pastor.
- Be responsible for involving youth and college-age students with local, national, and international mission trips, consulting with GBC’s Outreach and Missions Teams for such projects.
- Serve actively within the overall ministry of GBC, including by being available to assist in congregational worship or other activities, as directed by the Senior Pastor and Elders.
Qualifications & Skills
- Has a clear calling from God into student ministries.
- Has a bachelor’s degree (seminary degree preferred).
- Relevant youth ministry experience required. Some missions experience is preferred. Some background in music preferred.
- Possesses and is able to communicate a passionate and dynamic faith in Christ in ways that young people typically find engaging and inviting.
- Has a strong understanding of the Scriptures and is able to clearly communicate the biblical message in a variety of ways and settings, including by the appropriate use of digital technology and social media.
- Demonstrates strong administrative, team-building, organizational, interpersonal, and professional skills.
- Is comfortable and capable in relating positively to a diverse group of youth and adults, and demonstrates relational discernment through an appropriate mixture of warmth and boldness, sensitivity and directness.
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your introductory email message along with your attached résumé to: [email protected]. All communication is to be directed to this email address.