Director of Women’s and Family Ministries
Date Posted: February 6, 2023
Hours Per Week: 40
Redeemer Church, Downtown
New York, NY, USA
Job Type: Ministry Director,Women's Ministry
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Women’s and Family Ministry has the responsibility to oversee the families, youth, and children’s ministry, as well as our women’s ministry in pursuit of our vision to be a community experiencing renewal by the gospel, raising up generations of disciples, living for Jesus in the city.
To that end, the role includes:
- Overseeing four employees within the children’s and youth ministry to support Redeemer Downtown’s parents as we raise up the next generation of disciples.
- Being the church’s main women’s minister, working alongside the pastors and the community life team, to equip the women of the church to love, serve and minister the gospel to one another, as they seek to live for Jesus in the city.
- Being part of the staff leadership team overseeing the implementation of the church’s vision, and embodying and upholding our values of being Deeply Formed, an Inviting Community, and City Hopeful.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
Overseeing the families, children and youth ministries
Work with the staff, volunteers and parents to:
- Ensure a cohesive, gospel-centered approach to the family’s ministry including (though not limited to) teaching and training for parents and Marriage Works classes.
- Disciple the next generation to live for Jesus in the city by overseeing a curriculum of teaching materials for young people and children
- Oversee the Sunday children and youth ministry programs.
- Grow the ministry by reaching out to new families, children and young people ○ Execute an annual Vacation Bible School both for existing church families and to engage new families and children.
- Committed frontline prayer for the families and children’s ministry area.
Manage the children and youth ministry staff including:
- The team strategic focus and goals.
- Weekly team ‘tactical’ meetings.
- Weekly 1 on 1s with staff.
- Regular feedback, development, and performance reviews.
- Ensuring the goals and activities of the team are aligned with the overall vision and seasonal strategic focus.
Maintain emphasis on staff ‘equipping the church for works of ministry’ (Eph 4:12) to release the gifts in the wider church (particularly amongst parents and volunteers) and not just ‘doing ministry’ for the church.
Providing pastoral care and discipleship for the women of Redeemer Downtown
- Work alongside the pastors, elders, deacons, and community life team to provide excellent pastoral care for women in the church.
- Equip women in the church to disciple one another as women living for Jesus in the city, in a range of contexts from 1 on 1s, to spiritual friendships, to community groups.
- Encourage effective integration of the women’s ministry across the 10am and 5pm services, and in particular to foster an environment of Titus 2:4 where ‘older women… train the younger women’.
- Motivate and equip women in the church to reach out with the gospel in word and deed.
Being part of the staff leadership team
- Working alongside the leadership team (LT) members to ensure we are effectively pursuing our vision and embodying our values.
- Being a representative and voice for women on the staff team in the LT.
- Working with the LT as they seek to create a healthy gospel-centered culture where women thrive and are invested in and developed.
- A person of demonstrably godly character fulfilling the characteristics outlined in 1 Tim 3:8-13.
- Spiritual resilience with deep foundations in prayer, recognizing the joys and challenges of leadership in the local church.
- Able to speak to concrete areas of personal change where a gospel dynamic is evident.
- A person committed to the Biblical and Reformed Faith.
- Passionate about the vision and values of Redeemer Downtown:
- Vision: A community experiencing renewal by the gospel, raising up generations of disciples, living for Jesus in the city
- Deeply formed: New York is a wonderful but challenging place to live. To flourish in the city requires being deeply formed in the image of Jesus Christ (Col 2:6-7). At Redeemer Downtown we are committed to integrating historic practices of spiritual formation, rooted in the gospel of grace, and applied to city life today.
- Inviting Community: The city is a paradox, having so many people living in a tight space, and yet so often isolated and ‘alone together’. We want to be an inviting community, both because there should be something intuitively attractive about how we love one another (John 13:35), and because we are actively inviting people who don’t know Christ into our midst. (Rom 12:13, 1 Pet 2:9)
- City Hopeful: Hope is not mere optimism, but is generated by faith that God who raised Jesus from the dead is at work establishing his kingdom ‘on earth as it is in heaven’ (Mat 6:10). To be city hopeful is to have an orientation towards the city, knowing that God is renewing all things (Col 1:20), and a longing to see God’s purposes for the city fulfilled.
- Need to embrace Redeemer Downtown’s vision and have a gospel-oriented heart for New York City. Candidate should be aligned with the core theological principles of Redeemer and the Presbyterian Church of America, including the Westminster Confession.
- Spiritual maturity.
- Ability to maintain a high level of sensitivity to the confidential nature of the job.
- Minimum 4 years of college. Theological degree from an accredited seminary or equivalent preferred, but not required.
- A track record (whether in paid or volunteer capacity) of pastoral ministry, with experience in pastoral care and discipleship and an ability to teach in a range of settings.
- A proven track record of recruiting, managing and empowering a variety of volunteers.
- A proven leader who is able to run and build a team in pursuit of its vision.
- Ability to effectively manage a staff team including effective goal setting, review, communication, and overseeing financial and personnel resources.
Skills & Experiences:
- Experience as a staff member or volunteer of families, children’s and youth ministry.
- Has experienced professional failure, and personal suffering, and is able to speak to how these experiences have shaped their personal formation and professional approach.
- Personal experience of large urban centers and the opportunities and challenges of large city dynamics particularly for families and women in the city.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to constructively manage conflict.
- Skilled in developing and maintaining cooperative and productive relationships.
- Skill in coaching, guiding and leading others a plus.
- Proficient in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, etc.) and Google Suite applications.
Salary range: $90,000 – $110,000/year.
The wage range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill set; experience and training; licensure, certifications, and ordination; and other organizational needs.
How To Apply
To view the job description and to apply, please use this link: https://downtown-redeemer.apscareerportal.com/j/01mnk6n.