Director of Worship
About Citizens Church Charlotte
Citizens Church is a new church plant which was formed in Charlotte, NC in the summer of 2020. Our vision is to be a Jesus-centered family on mission with Him. We launched weekly Sunday Gatherings on January 3, 2021 and have seven Community Groups meeting in various parts of our city.
We are in the Reformed-Baptist tradition and affirm the historic tenets of the Christian faith as outlined in the Apostles Creed and Nicene Creed. We also affirm the Gospel Coalition Doctrinal Statement. We are a part of the Harbor Network and Grassroots Network.
Our worship style seeks to be a blend of the charismatic (little “c”) and the contemplative. Andrew Wilson has called this style “Eucharismatic” – meaning we place a high value on liturgical readings, silent prayers, and the ancient traditions of our faith, while also seeking bold expressions of the Holy Spirit.
Department: Worship and Production
Reports to: Pastor for Preaching and Vision
Hours: Part-time (10-15 hours a week, majority Sundays)
Contract Term: Ongoing (evaluations to determine continued fit at 1 month, 3 months, and 1 year)
The Director of Worship will produce systems and structures to empower volunteers and team leads to execute all aspects of our Sunday Gathering worship. They will work to create a distraction-free environment on Sundays. The main avenues for this are:
- Develop worship set lists and liturgy for use in Sunday Gatherings.
- Lead worship 40 Sundays per year, seeking to create space for the congregation to worship and hear from God.
- Provide vision and oversight to larger worship culture at Citizens, including style, theology, and song selection.
- Develop and improve systems for a distraction-free environment on Sundays in relation to worship and production.
- Oversee all Planning Center Services scheduling and changes.
- Develop a song-writing initiative to birth songs out of our own church context.
- Lead a team of 30+ volunteers, caring for them as both people and musicians.
Competencies and Qualifications:
In order to lead effectively at Citizens Church, the Director of Worship must have the following competencies and qualifications:
- Passionate about the work of ministry in the city of Charlotte.
- Aligned with the Vision, Values, Mission of Citizens Church.
- Passionate about liturgy and the role of structured corporate worship in the life of the church.
- Able to recruit, train, encourage, oversee, and lead a team of volunteers and leaders.
- Able to build and maintain a budget.
- Excellent communication skills with visitors, volunteers, key leaders, deacons, and the lead pastor of Citizens Church.
- High-energy and professionalism.
- Good planner who is able to be flexible as issues arrive.
- Detail oriented.
- Ability to create, develop, implement and oversee systems and programs.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred.
How To Apply
To be considered for this position, please apply via our official application on our website here.