Director of Worship Arts (Full-time)
Calvary by the Sea Lutheran Church
Aloha! Calvary by the Sea is a Jesus-centered community pursuing holy and poetic promises: doing justice through feeding Oʻahu, uplifting our maturing adults, prioritizing young people and families, advocating for racial unity and equity, welcoming and affirming the LGBTQIA+ community and welcoming ecumenical friends across all faith traditions and denominations. We truly welcome all people and celebrate God’s diversity of humanity in the world.
Come join God’s work in Honolulu, Hawaii! We are in a season of spiritual and numerical growth through the Holy Spirit. Our congregation is being moved into a new and unique season, come join us and be part of a diverse and young ministry team doing good work!
We are so blessed to be calling a full-time Director of Worship Arts. The primary purpose of this position is to lead God’s people in corporate worship by creating a space that invites the attenders to both hear from and respond to God in prayer and praise. The Director of Worship Arts will oversee the integration of music, audio/tech, live streaming and visual arts for our worship services. In collaboration with the Senior Pastor, this individual will select, prepare and lead worship for Sunday worship and other special worship gatherings throughout the year.
As covid-19 restrictions loosen, the selected individual will lead and conduct the adult church choir including selecting choral music and leading weekly rehearsals.
The main purposes of this position are to facilitate an atmosphere in which God is worshipped and glorified, to provide direction, oversight, and coordination of musical and creative element for worship services. The Director of Worship Arts will serve as primary administrator of the music and worship arts ministry of the church. Developing, recruiting, leading and rehearsing a worship band, while maintaining a calendar of musicians, singers and special music. This individual needs to have the ability to provide a variety of musical genres, ranging from classical, jazz, gospel, reggae, Latin jazz, hymns and Christian worship songs. Experience with Hawaiian or other language than English music will be beneficial.
- In collaboration with the Senior Pastor, will plan and implement music ministry including Sunday worship and special worship services and music programs sponsored by the church.
- Schedule and facilitate weekly worship band rehearsals.
- Send out music ahead of time using CCLI song select, and other music/worship programs.
- Oversee and provide direction to the audio/tech team for live audio and streaming.
- Schedule and conduct weekly choir rehearsals and performances.
- Routinely recruit qualified members and candidates for band, vocals and choir.
- Hire, retain and engage existing musicians and music ministry relationships.
- Work in partnership with the Senior Pastor to formulate and develop an annual music budget.
- Use the music ministry to unite children, youth, young and old membership/attenders.
- Lead weekly worship with dynamic vitality, engaging attenders/members through the Holy Spirit.
- Ability to play an instrument/s and sing is a vital component of this role.
- Demonstrate a passionate love and commitment for Christ.
- Have a personal call to the ministry of worship and music.
- Demonstrate spiritual maturity, a life of prayer and theologically grounded.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of ministry experience, working in a church setting.
- Possess formal musical/vocal/worship arts or related field education and training.
- Some knowledge of the Christian liturgical seasons.
- Possess excellent vocal and singing abilities.
- Proficient in reading music, choral charts, lead sheets and chord charts.
- Be proficient in playing the piano or guitar.
- Conduct the adult choir with the ability of teaching different vocal parts.
- Be proficient in organizational skills including calendar management.
- Oversee and equip volunteers and staff in the Worship Arts Ministry, including those with vocal, instrumental, choral, stage design, audio/visual and technical skills.
- Spiritually invest in the volunteer and staff members of the Worship Arts Ministry by engaging personal faith through conversation and prayer.
- Ability to vocally lead hymns and worship songs.
- Support additional opportunities: seasonal children/youth choirs, dramas, school chapel and graduation services, etc.
- Assist with funerals, weddings and other special services as necessary.
- Be collaborative, creative, energetic, spiritually grounded, and open-minded.
- Work well with a young and robust ministry team.
- Open to working with people of diverse ages, theological beliefs, ethnicities and identities.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Proficient with technology, social media, computer, email and apple/mac products.
- Willing to learn about Lutheran theological and liturgical aspects.
- Participate in other duties as assigned.
CBTS is looking for a creative self-starter and down to earth team player who is living in the moment, willing to step in and support the greater cause and mission of the church. Going beyond one’s ministry department by lending a hand wherever needed. Actively seeking to participate in God’s work in the world and be empathetic with the people of God. Able to handle conflict in a healthy manner. This individual needs to have church ministry experience, be theologically open and evolving, willing to welcome the LGBTQIA+ community in our church, prioritize the young generation and include ecumenical friends across various denominational and religious traditions. Furthermore, this leader needs to consider our worship experiences as a space of healing, restoration and racial reconciliation. Willing to be an agent of cultural renewal, to diversify our worship program, while acknowledging the local Hawaiian cultural context.
And lastly this individual needs to know that our ministry staff is just a bunch of common human beings serving God and people, while also realizing that we live in one of the most beautiful places in the world. If you enjoy being close to beaches, hiking, surfing, paddle boarding, snorkeling, boogie boarding, kayaking or just love sunsets and great Asian cuisine, then you are in the right place.
Compensation and Benefits:
Competitive salary based on experience, education and qualifications, paid medical and dental insurance, generous vacation package, state holidays and flexible work schedule. This position is a full-time salaried position and moving costs may be discussed if needed. Children ages (2 through 6) receive significant tuition discount from our Montessori School. Certain duties and hours will vary on a seasonal basis throughout the year.
This position will report directly to the Senior Pastor.
Note: All interviewed candidates will be subject to a thorough background check. References required.
How To Apply
How to apply?
- Email an introduction letter sharing, why you feel called to this position?
- Email video links of 1) a recent worship service that you planned and led, 2) a choir piece you recently conducted during a worship service.
- Email us your resume.
Send all information to:
The Rev. Dr. Moses D. Barrios, Senior Pastor
Calvary by the Sea Lutheran Church