Personal & Ministry Overview
Alliance International Church Hong Kong is seeking a full-time discipleship pastor. The successful candidate will be a gifted teacher and facilitator, a proven leader, a faithful intercessor with a heart for discipling leaders and mentoring others. This person will assist in carrying out the vision and mission of AIC. Developing discipleship plans sensitive to the diverse context of our international congregation. The candidate will also demonstrate a personal call to long-term pastoral ministry, and a heart to serve the global community of Hong Kong.
The effective discipleship pastor will be a servant of all, able to relate well to and influence others, highly organized and systematic in thought and practice sharing the passion of AIC for seeing every member as a disciple and a discipler. As discipleship is a key ingredient in empowering the church to serve, we place a high value on developing and identifying tools that will allow our congregation to grow in maturity through careful study and application of God’s Word. This begins personally in the life of the discipleship pastor whose life is an inspiration to others to walk more deeply with our King.
The discipleship pastor must be a man of God, who has ordered his life in a way that demonstrates adherence to the teaching of scripture and surrenders to the Lordship of Christ.
- The Discipleship Pastor shall meet the New Testament requirements for elder/ pastor/shepherd as listed in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:6-9.
- A commitment to our statement of faith, vision, and core values. AIC is a member church of the Chinese Christian and Missionary Alliance.
- A Master’s of Divinity degree from an accepted seminary.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in a pastoral role preferably in a cross-cultural setting.
- Experience in and/or a heart for people in Hong Kong and its surrounding areas (Mainland China) are strongly preferred.
- A commitment to being a team player with shared leadership with elders.
Development and implementation of discipleship at AIC.
- The Discipleship Pastor will work with the Lead Pastor and elders to invest in the lives of our church family, providing the tools, time, and resources they need to become mature disciples.
- The Discipleship Pastor will work with various ministry leaders to develop a description of a mature disciple based on age-specific levels.
- The Discipleship Pastor will assist all discipleship classes in identifying and implementing biblically sound curricula that meet the ever-changing needs of our congregation.
- Lead, shepherd, and train adult discipleship class facilitators.
- Facilitate one adult discipleship class per term.
- Assist the Lead Pastor and elders in identifying annual teaching themes, and sermon series, in coordination with discipleship classes and community groups.
- Preach when requested.
- Shepherd and lead the Community Groups ministry of AIC.
- Lead/initiate a community group if one is not already offered for the area. If already offered, participate actively.
- Produce online and printable training materials for discipleship leaders.
- Work with the Lead Pastor to effectively utilize the AIC website for added. communication and community with the church family and the beyond.
- Give oversight and direction to discipleship ministry leaders. This will include children’s ministry, youth ministry, and Filipino ministry.
- Duties will include: meeting with them on a bi-weekly basis to go over their ministries, giving direction and leadership.
- The Discipleship Pastor will also be expected to give the ministry leaders an annual review.
- Organize materials and teaching plans for membership and baptismal classes.
- Oversee discipleship materials for all ages to ensure depth and breadth of teaching and program development.
- Study and read widely to disseminate helpful information and resources to ministry teams of AIC.
- The Discipleship Pastor will be responsible to:
- Attend all elder meetings as a participant but not a voting member.
- Attend and give a written and oral report to the monthly Governing Council meetings. Attendance will be as a participant but not a voting member.
- Attend and give a written and oral report to the Annual General Meeting.
Set an Example
- Model a life passionate for Jesus Christ and his kingdom.
- Model a heart committed to sharing the good news of Jesus and his love with a lost making disciples in accordance with Matthew 28:18-20.
- Model a life of surrendered life and a personal reliance upon God – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- Model a work ethic of service to God and man in all areas of life.
- Model a rich implementation of the spiritual disciplines.
- Demonstrate a deep love for people and model discipleship by teaching and leading in the context of God-honoring relationships.
The Discipleship Pastor is accountable to the AIC Lead Pastor.
How To Apply
Please send your CV and cover letter to: [email protected].