Chinese Baptist Church of Greater Hartford (CBCGH) is looking for the right person who is a called, qualified candidate as the English Ministry Pastor. The candidate must be a passionate follower of Jesus Christ in the evangelical tradition, who feels called to lead people to a relationship with Christ and the process of becoming a disciple. The ideal applicant will value the practical application of scripture to real life concerns. The successful candidate must be competent in outreach and developing relationships. We expect the successful candidate to be able to relate to the schedule and priorities of a congregation that includes families, young adults, and couples. An understanding of the Chinese culture would also be helpful in the position.
The OVERARCHING VISION
Provide vision, leadership and oversight for all aspects of the English Ministry at Chinese Baptist so that our members can come to know and follow Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord.
Any candidate must be willing to share their story of coming to faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and has been baptized by immersion.
- The ability to clearly share the gospel is also essential as well as experience in disciple making.
- The candidate will need at least 5 years of ministry experience with a proven track record in relational ministry to adults.
- The candidate needs to be a self-starter and motivated to work with the various age groups of adults in the English Ministry in addition to the CBCGH Youth Director
- We require a bachelor’s degree and a seminary degree, a Master of Divinity is preferred
- Being a multicultural Chinese church we are looking for a candidate that has an understanding of the unique challenges that face American-born Asians
- The candidate must be able to communicate to a wide audience (middle school through mature adults) and preach through expository and topical messages.
The Pastor shall perform the following duties consistent with their qualifications and abilities:
- Supervise the English Ministry (EM) Sunday Worship Service including preaching the sermon, giving guidance to the worship team, performing Holy Communion, as well as coordinating arrangements and evaluating all guest speakers.
- Offering Baptism and Membership Classes as needed, then performing baptisms.
- Develop disciples through regular teaching of the scriptures, be it in Sunday School and/or Small Groups, and as needed provide individual and group opportunities for strengthening the habits of discipleship in the members.
- Establish a routine for visiting the members of the English Ministry Adults
- Build and Maintain a strong working relationship with the CBCGH Youth Director
- Provide Premarital, Family, Crisis and Intervention counseling for the members of the EM Adults, and counseling referrals as needed.
- Develop a comprehensive program for evangelism with the EM Adults including training and mobilization of the members.
- Conduct prayer meetings and special meetings as needed for the EM Adults.
- Promote global and local missions through regular instruction, as well as providing short-term mission trips for EM members.
- Establish an EM Adult Leadership Team to assist the pastor in planning and carrying out the details of the ministry including church sponsored retreats and conferences.
- Work in concert with other CBCGH Pastors and Staff to ensure cooperative leadership for the whole church, which includes participation in the monthly Deacon Board meetings.
- Represent the interests of the church and be a primary contact with other pastors in the area to support joint ministry in the Greater Hartford evangelical community.
- Update the English Ministry plan annually based on personal reflection and vision.
How To Apply
All candidates for the English Adult Ministry Position will need to send a current resume to [email protected] or Chinese Baptist Church of Greater Hartford, 160 Wintonbury Avenue, Bloomfield, CT 06002 (Attn. Pastor Tim). Upon receiving your resume we will guide you through the next steps in the process. Please know that in due course you may be required to submit two recordings (video or audio) demonstrating your abilities in teaching or preaching, three personal references (including one from a former supervisor) and before hiring you will need to undergo a background check. We look forward to hearing from you!