Kids and Youth Minister
Community Church at Lake Wylie exists to reach every generation with the Love and Hope of Jesus Christ. To that end, we are seeking to hire a Kids and Youth Minister who will build and lead a meaningful, gospel-focused ministry to children and teenagers. We have excellent facilities for kids, and a gymnasium across the street that could be utilized for youth events, possibly in partnership with other local organizations.
While there is a solid, decades-long foundation of kids and youth ministry at CCLW, this is the beginning of a new chapter of our church’s life. We have recently hired a new Senior Pastor, and building up the kids and youth ministry is a top priority. A successful candidate will share the heart, ethos, and entrepreneurial spirit of an organization like YoungLife. This position will start out as a part-time role (30 hours/week), but we expect it will be full-time within a year or two – depending on the growth rate of the ministry.
Starting salary: $36,000 (for 30 hours/week)
- Design and implement a strategic approach to kids and youth ministry that reflects the Christ-centered, service-minded ethos of CCLW.
- Raise up teams of volunteers to serve with kids and youth.
- Clear and consistent communication with parents about what their children are learning, and about upcoming events.
- Kids Ministry (birth – 5th grade):
- Oversee Sunday morning operations (scheduling volunteers, preparing curriculum, ordering supplies, maintaining cleanliness, ensuring safety, etc.)
- Be a warm and welcoming presence for families, especially those visiting CCLW for the first time.
- Teach one of the upper elementary classes on Sunday mornings to help shepherd kids (and their families) through the transition into the youth ministry.
- Offer special events like VBS, beginning/end of school year celebrations, summer fun events.
- Youth Ministry (6th – 12th grade):
- Find creative ways to connect with middle and high school students within the church and outside of it.
- Create regular opportunities for teenagers to socialize, grow in their faith, and serve the community.
- Build relationships with local institutions and leaders who are invested in the lives of students (schools, teachers, coaches, YoungLife leaders, etc.)
- Find ways for teenagers to lead and serve within the kids ministry.
- Work in concert with the rest of the CCLW staff to achieve broader church objectives.
- Teach in the main service occasionally, especially to build rapport with families at CCLW.
- Evidence of a growing relationship with God.
- Agreement with our mission and beliefs.
- Active participation in the life of our church.
- A genuine love for the next generation and a long-term desire to work with that age group (We are not interested in hiring someone who views kids and youth ministry as a short-term steppingstone).
- Key character traits we’re looking for:
- Self-motivated and reliable.
- A learner.
- Efficient, but warm.
- Driven, but kind.
- Organized, yet flexible.
- A willingness to ask for help when something isn’t going well.
- Proactive about conflict resolution.
- A sense of humor.
- Bachelor’s degree (or substantial progress toward earning one).
- Seminary education preferred, but not required.
- A working knowledge of Scripture.
- Proven ability to design and build something.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proven administrative abilities and capacity for follow through.
- Strong time-management skills and the ability to multitask.
A successful first year will look like:
- ≈ 40-50 children regularly participating on Sunday mornings (birth-5th grade).
- ≈ 15-20 youth regularly involved (6th-12th grade).
- A healthy and growing team of volunteer leaders.
- Regular, meaningful connections with parents.
- Youth events in the gymnasium (in partnership with other organizations or churches).
How To Apply
Send a cover letter, resume, and two references to [email protected].
If we decide to begin an interview process, we will ask you for a strategic proposal about how to grow and staff the Kids and Youth Ministry in the years ahead. We may also have you complete a personality assessment to help us better understand your personal and professional temperament.
It is our goal to fill this position by mid-August.