Evangelical Free Church of the Palouse (Pullman, WA) – Lead Pastor
The Big Picture
Evangelical Free Church of the Palouse (efreepalouse.org) (300 Pre-Covid) is seeking a Lead Pastor who has a pastoral and shepherding heart, who is able to preach the Word of God faithfully and equip the church for works of service.
Our mission statement is “raising worshipful, caring, disciple-making servants of the Lord Jesus Christ as we reach our community and the world.” We are located in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, between Pullman, Washington, and Moscow, Idaho, an area in which there are two major state universities within 10 miles. Our congregation spans from newborns to seniors, and our most active ministries at present are children, youth, college, small groups and seniors.
The Lead Pastor serves with the elders of E-Free to oversee the church’s mission through pastoral care. By personal example and enabled by spiritual gifting and calling, the lead pastor provides pastoral leadership to the staff and congregation of the E-Free church. Ephesians 4:11-12: “And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ . . .”
- Shows clear evidence of being born again by the Spirit of God (John 3), is full of the Spirit and wisdom (Acts 6:3), and has ongoing and growing evidence of salvation, obedience and love (1 John).
- A spiritual gift of preaching/teaching: Proven giftedness and competence in faithfully preaching and teaching the Scriptures (The Holy Bible) in a way that strengthens people’s faith and equips and motivates them for their ministries, “a workman who does not need to be ashamed, handling accurately the word of truth.” 2 Tim 2:15 (NASB)
- Qualifies as a pastor-overseer-elder according to the Scriptures (I Timothy 3; Titus 1; 1 Peter 5).
- Demonstrable ministry priority of loving and caring for people well;
- Experience in church administration: proven ability to oversee, participate in, minister to, and coordinate ministry teams.
- Evangelism: A heart to share the Gospel to those outside the body of Christ. Experience sharing the Gospel, both as people visit church meetings and beyond the church facilities, individually and in gatherings.
- Has a strong sense of the Lord’s calling in his life to be in the ministry.
- Enthusiastically supports and affirms the Statement of Faith of the Evangelical Free Church of the Palouse.
- Has successfully completed a Master of Divinity or equivalent study/training.
- Commits to a plurality of elder leadership of the church, with all elders having equal voting rights.
- Believes in biblical male leadership for the positions of pastor-overseer-elder. Does not exclude female leadership roles in ministries to women and children, nor the role of deaconess in the deaconate.
- Loves the Lord first and foremost and loves people with a Christ-like love.
- Works well as a team player.
- Competent to expound and to defend the Scriptures.
- Understanding of Greek and Hebrew (preferred qualification).
- Has a perspective of long-term, stable leadership for churches, while understanding it is God to whom we are first responsible.
- Has been tested by being a spiritual servant-leader of his home under Christ, and if married, works well together as a husband-wife team in shepherding of children God has given them. Exemplifies living with his wife in an understanding way, honoring her as a fellow heir in Christ Jesus, such that his prayers are not hindered, as directed in 1 Peter 3:7.
- Has proven to be hospitable to both believers and unbelievers, as a part of effective ministry.
- Senses God’s guidance in applying to pastor this congregation.
- Enthusiastically supports the mission statement of the church, the vision for growing leadership, and the vision for growing EFCP in the years ahead.
How To Apply
Please look over this job description and the church website. Along with your resume please answer these questions:
- Why do you believe that you might be a good fit as the Lead Pastor at EFCP?
- Describe your experiences in ministry and how you may be qualified to serve as the Lead Pastor at EFCP.
- In just a few sentences please give a summary of your theology and how that is in line with the EFCP.
Please send your resume, the answers to these questions and a link to at least one online sermon to [email protected].