The Lead Pastor serves under the authority of Jesus and alongside the Elders of Milestone to provide the overall vision, direction, and oversight to the Church. The Lead Pastor demonstrates the centrality of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to all matters of life and faith through preaching, teaching, discipleship and counseling, to the end that the body is equipped to minister to one another, and disciples are made. The Lead Pastor ensures the church’s mission is understood, communicated, and owned among the Elders, staff, and congregation through preaching, teaching, and leading in proclamation and ministerial care. The Lead Pastor comes alongside members of the body to help each part fulfill their calling in Christ. The Lead Pastor functions as the chief servant of the local body of Christ at Milestone (Matt 20:25-28)
- Communicates a testimony of faith in Christ.
- Meets the biblical qualifications of a pastor/elder (Titus 1:5-9; 1 Tim 3:1-7).
- Has a vibrant devotional and prayer life; regularly practices spiritual disciplines.
- Possesses a clear understanding of the doctrines of faith.
- Mobilizes people and teams.
- Demonstrates a faithfulness (ability) to share the gospel and lead others to saving faith in Christ.
- Accepts constructive criticism and input from others with humility.
- Demonstrates an ability to build relationships and deal with conflict in the community.
- At least 5 years of practical ministry experience.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in biblical studies; master’s degree or higher preferred.
- A clear calling to serve as Lead Pastor.
- Familiar with church planting.
- Synergy with Elders
- Coordinates with the Elders regarding the exploration and implementation of our vision.
- Maintains regular meeting cadence and ongoing collaboration with all Elders.
- Establish and enables leadership is in all areas of ministry.
- Proactively models and implements creative ways to effectively communicate church-wide mission.
- Commits to accountability and an attitude of mutual submission with the Elders.
- Develops an atmosphere of prayer, seeking God’s agenda.
- Works with Elders to develop methods to establish and achieve the vision.
- Empowers and equips Elders and Staff to accomplish God’s agenda.
- Regularly communicates and consistently models an understanding of the church’s mission and vision.
- Portrays resilience under opposition and setbacks.
- Is adaptable to meet needs, identify barriers, and articulate vision.
- Demonstrates courage to lead others who are not following.
- Actively listens to the church body, seeking to discern the Holy Spirit’s direction and leading in the life, mission and vision of Milestone.
- Preaching / Teaching
- Ensures the quality of expositional, biblical, gospel-centered preaching.
- Oversight of preaching direction & schedule, ensuring biblical consistency and accuracy from all who teach.
- Provides approximately 70% of preaching at Milestone.
- Ensures worship is gospel-centered & Spirit-led.
- Coaches other preachers through assessing their preaching and mentoring them to be
more effective preachers.
- Celebrates the diversity of God’s people in the church body.
- Challenges others to a missional lifestyle.
- Leadership Development
- Leads or delegates leadership of weekly staff meeting.
- Oversees staff and enables them to develop others.
- Mentors and leads the Elders and Staff.
- Provides expectations for accountability.
- Cultivates an atmosphere of spiritual multiplication across Milestone.
- Other Responsibilities
- Functions as president of Milestone Church LLC.
- Provides counsel to partners and community as needed.
- Conducts funeral services and wedding ceremonies, as he is able, sharing and delegating to others on the staff responsibilities in this area as needed.
- Works alongside Elders to handle church discipline matters and manage conflicts in the church. Seeks to reconcile relationships and promote unity within the church.
How To Apply
Submit your resume to [email protected] and a member of the pastoral search committee will connect with you about next steps.