RiverLife (Bern, Switzerland) – Senior Pastor
The Big Picture
RiverLife (riverlife.ch) an English speaking, international evangelical church in the center of Bern, is seeking a Senior Pastor.
RiverLife (also known as Bern International Evangelical Church) is currently under the Pastoral leadership of Senior Pastors Nick & Grace Turner who have ministered here since Autumn 2017 & will retire by Autumn 2022. As an English-speaking Church we often have more than 30 nationalities worshipping with us at any one time, many of whom are only with us for a few months or years. The congregation is from a wide range of situations – ranging from Embassy staff to refugees. People are also from very diverse church backgrounds. This means that a focus on the core things that unite us is very important.
The Pastor will have responsibility for the spiritual leadership of the Church –
- For pastoral care for the Church family and for outreach to believers and non-believers.
- The position requires a number of skills –
- Leadership and vision.
- Preaching and teaching.
- An ability to get alongside people in pastoral care.
- Efficient administration.
- An ability to release others into ministry.
- A willingness to work hard.
- A love for people of all nations, colors and races.
- A sense of humor!
The Pastor will need to live in the Bern area and will be the first among equals in an elders’ team which they will lead and with whom they meet regularly and share pastoral responsibility.
The ideal candidate will be:
- An Experienced Pastor.
- A Good Preacher.
- A Strong Leader.
- Someone with a wife who will be actively involved in the ministry.
In addition, a well organized person with experience of working with internationals, will be preferred.
Note that if coming from outside Switzerland, the European Union or the European Free Trade Area, and not married to a Swiss wife, Swiss regulations require that the person must also have:
- A Degree in theology
- A Certificate confirming he can speak German or French to the level B1 and write one of these to the level A1.
We are willing to consider candidates that are willing to take language courses and obtain a German or French language certificate if they are appointed.
How To Apply
Please look over this job description and the church website. Along with your resume please answer these questions:
- Why do you believe that you might be a good fit as the Senior Pastor at RiverLife?
- Describe your experiences in ministry and how you may be qualified to serve as the Senior Pastor at RiverLife?
- In just a few sentences please give a summary of your theology and how that is in line with the Statement of Faith of RiverLife?
Please send your resume, the answers to these questions and a link to at least one online sermon to [email protected].