Job Title: Lead Pastor
Reports to: Board of Directors
FLSA Status: Salary Exempt
God calls us to “shepherd the flock in our care” (1 Peter 5:2). The Lead Pastor will provide responsible care at the Gateway Church as we seek to Practice the way of Jesus for the Renewal of all things. The Lead Pastor will be responsible for inviting the church into life with God via pastoral care, preaching, staff leadership & development, embodying the values of the community (i.e., Presence, Formation, and Renewal), and other duties as determined in concert with the Board of Directors.
A successful candidate understands Gateway’s culture and is proactive, meeting deadlines, maintaining confidentiality, communicating effectively, and possessing the necessary relational skills (i.e., emotional intelligence, communication, and conflict resolution skills) needed to navigate the needs and requests that arise in the ministry.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Gather, cast, and execute the vision.
- Work with staff and the Board to organize, plan, and operationalize the church’s values. He/she will serve as a member of the Board and an ex officio member of all committees (except the Lead Pastor Review Committee).
- Work with staff, Elders, and appointed Deacons to engage and direct the congregation in making disciples through practicing the way of Jesus.
- Collaborates internally with other ministries to promote and encourage unity.
- He/She will assume primary preaching and planning responsibilities and help develop those gifted to preach in the community.
- Develop, facilitate, and manage additional classes/studies as needed (this may include classes such as baptism and membership).
- Work with and report to the Board and Treasurer to oversee the organization and management of the church budget, staff, operations, and facilities.
- Oversee development and management of staff, including hiring, training, mentoring, and dismissing. Hiring and dismissal will be made in consultation with the Board of Elders.
- Work with Elders and appointed Deacons to perform pastoral care duties such as hospital visitation, home visitation, counseling, funerals, weddings, etc.
- Participate in ongoing personal education and training opportunities to enhance ministerial understanding and duties.
Education and Experience
Preference will be given to an individual that has the following experience:
- Five years experience in leadership with a church ministry.
- Experience with teaching, discipleship, pastoral care, leadership development, and staff management.
- Evidence of a life lived before God with integrity and humility.
- A desire to engage with and love the community of Des Moines.
- Willingness to serve The Gateway Church for a minimum of 3 years.
Character and Personality Traits
- Fulfills the requirements for the office of Elder in keeping 1 Timothy 3:2-7, Titus 1:6-9, and 1 Peter 5:2-3.
- Heart to see God’s Kingdom built here in Des Moines as it is in Heaven.
- Open to the present work of the Spirit in the life of the church and the ability to discern and follow the leadership of the Holy Spirit.
- Heart to develop a discipleship culture.
About The Gateway Church
We’re a younger church community in the heart of Downtown Des Moines with a heart for following the way of Jesus. It is our explicit desire to see God’s Kingdom come and his will be done here in Des Moines as it is in Heaven (Matthew 6:10). Therefore we pursue the presence of God to be formed in the way of Jesus and live into the renewal of our city.
We believe integrating presence, formation, and renewal is at the heart of Jesus’ ministry and is the unique invitation to the church in our time and place.
Gateway is an At-Will and equal-opportunity employer. All of our employment decisions (e.g., recruiting, hiring, training, promoting, compensating, and terminating) will be made in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
The compensation package includes:
- Pastor’s salary.
- Social security offset.
- Retirement (403b).
- Housing allowance.
- Health insurance offset.
- Paid vacation.
How To Apply
Submitting an Application
If the ethos of this community resonates, please respond exclusively within church staffing’s portal with the following:
- A resume.
- A brief account of why you feel led to explore this opportunity.
- Recorded examples of your preaching (links are acceptable).
Qualified candidates will be contacted promptly for an initial phone conversation to assess value alignment and suitability, followed by a formal interview. For more information, email [email protected].