Minister to Children and Youth
Community Church of Providence
372 Wayland Ave., Providence, RI 02906
Vision/Mission of the Minister to Children and Youth
Community Church of Providence (American Baptist Churches, USA) is a diverse and inclusive congregation in Providence, RI. Our vision for this position is to provide a foundational and enriching environment for our children and youth, enabling them to experience Christ’s love, grow in their Christian faith and discipleship, and discover opportunities for Christian service within the church and in the broader community.
Description of Position
The Minister to Children and Youth will be responsible for:
- Organizing and conducting weekly Sunday Children’s ministry activities for children and youth ages 4-18 (e.g., Children’s Sermon, Sunday School).
- Planning periodic activities for children, youth, and their families as desired by the congregation, including opportunities to fellowship, explore the community/nature, lead in worship, and give back in service.
- Planning a weeklong summer program for children and youth and facilitating their participation in annual summer camping opportunities.
- Leading occasional retreats for youth and/or families, as well as partnering with the Pastor to coordinate intergenerational service trips.
The Minister to Children and Youth is expected to:
- Maintain regular communication with parents and families and the congregation, publicizing events in a timely manner.
- Engage in regular outreach and publicity to the broader community.
- Communicate with other church ministries and committees in order to facilitate collaboration.
- Provide content to the Church Office Administrator for the church website, Facebook page, and Sunday bulletin.
- Ensure background screening for all adult volunteers with children and youth.
- Set-up and maintain attractive spaces and classrooms for Christian Education.
- Facilitate fundraising opportunities for children and youth in advance of retreats, camping, and service trips.
- Adapt all programs and ministries as needed in coordination with the Pastor and the needs of the congregation.
Schedule, Supervision, and Review
This is a part-time position to include 15-20 hours per week. The Minister to Children and Youth will report to the Pastor and the Staff Relations Committee, participating in twice-monthly staff meetings with the Pastor. The Director will submit weekly hours to the Pastor and participate in a semi-annual review process arranged by the Staff Relations Committee.
Presence at the church is required on Sunday mornings and in-person at youth and children’s ministry events. Other planning and preparation may be completed remotely in consultation with the Pastor.
- $24 per hour.
- Two weeks of unpaid time off are provided with advance notice for providing Sunday morning coverage, with any additional needs for time off to be approved by the Pastor.
How To Apply
Please email Rev. Sarah Reed Jay at [email protected] with a cover letter and resume.