Mission & Evangelism Catalyst
Date Posted: March 26, 2023
Hours Per Week: 40
Redeemer Church, Downtown
New York, NY, USA
Job Type: Ministry Director
Reports to: Pastor of Mission & Evangelism
Position Location: Hybrid (in-person and remote, must reside in NYC)
We are looking for an evangelist at heart who will help build, activate, and lead Redeemer Downtown in our mission to reach the city with the gospel. Reporting to the Pastor of Mission & Evangelism, the Missional Catalyst will help create, execute, and lead a strategy for mission and evangelism that helps RDT grow its outward facing ministries toward the city. This is a highly innovative role that will require skill and experience in strategic visioning and planning, operations and logistical planning, activating and executing on strategic plans, and influencing and leading others.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Help create new evangelistic pathways:
- Work with leadership team to create and integrate new pathways and systems that welcome non-Christians into our community.
- Design and execute new evangelistic events, including Guest Worship Services, Open Forums and other large group gatherings.
- Plan and execute innovative small group gatherings that are welcoming to non-Christians.
- Developing and implementing supporting processes, systems, and leadership structure for determined pathways, to become integrated into existing ministry area.
2. Mobilize congregation in mission & evangelism:
- Lead evangelism cohorts to create a pipeline of leaders who are trained and activated in evangelism.
- Create discipleship content related to mission and evangelism, as well as train and equip congregants through classes, cohorts and other learning venues.
- Meet 1:1 with congregants to encourage and equip them in mission & evangelism.
3. Lead community engagement efforts to gain missional understanding of local neighborhoods
- Lead efforts to better understand the spiritual and material needs of our local neighbors (14th st & surrounding areas) to help strategize how the church can serve our neighbors, including demographic studies, neighborhood walks, and intentional connections with local community members, organizations, and businesses.
- Align existing ministry fronts on missional efforts, including homeless outreach on 14th st and surrounding areas.
- Foster relationships and build partnerships with local organizations to better meet the spiritual and material of our neighbors through local community engagement.
4. Personal Evangelism & Prayer
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for building personal relationships with non-Christians, with the intention of leading them closer to Christ, and influencing and leading others to do the same.
- Leading frontline prayer ministries that form the congregation to pray for mission and evangelism.
- A person of demonstrably godly character fulfilling the characteristics outlined in 1 Tim 3:8-13
- Spiritual resilience with deep foundations in prayer, recognising the joys and challenges of leadership in the local church
- Able to speak to concrete areas of personal change where a gospel dynamic is evident
- A person committed to the Biblical and Reformed Faith
- Passionate about the vision and values of Redeemer Downtown:
○ Vision: A community experiencing renewal by the gospel, raising up generations of disciples, living for Jesus in the city
Deeply formed: New York is a wonderful but challenging place to live. To flourish in the city requires being deeply formed in the image of Jesus Christ (Col 2:6-7). At Redeemer Downtown we are committed to integrating historic practices of spiritual formation, rooted in the gospel of grace, and applied to city life today.
Inviting Community: The city is a paradox, having so many people living in a tight space, and yet so often isolated and ‘alone together’. We want to be an inviting community, both because there should be something intuitively attractive about how we love one another (John 13:35), and because we are actively inviting people who don’t know Christ into our midst. (Rom 12:13, 1 Pet 2:9)
City Hopeful: Hope is not mere optimism, but is generated by faith that God who raised Jesus from the dead is at work establishing his kingdom ‘on earth as it is in heaven’ (Mat 6:10). To be city hopeful is to have an orientation towards the city, knowing that God is renewing all things (Col 1:20), and a longing to see God’s purposes for the city fulfilled.
- A proven track record of fruitful evangelism in a city context, preferably post-Christian
- A heart for New York City, understands and appreciates the diversity of its people and their needs
- Adept at communicating the Gospel in a secular, post-Christian context.
- Need to embrace Redeemer Downtown’s vision and have a gospel-oriented heart for New York City. The candidate should be aligned with the core theological principles of Redeemer and the Presbyterian Church of America, including the Westminster Confession.
- Spiritual maturity
- Ability to maintain a high level of sensitivity to the confidential nature of the job
- Minimum 4 years of college. Theological degree from an accredited seminary or equivalent preferred, but not required.
4. Skills & Experiences:
- Has experienced professional failure, and personal suffering, and is able to speak to how these experiences have shaped their personal formation and professional approach.
- Personal experience of large urban centers and the opportunities and challenges of large city dynamics particularly for families and women in the city.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills, with proven leadership and strategic planning and activation.
- Ability to constructively manage conflict.
- Skilled in developing and maintaining cooperative and productive relationships.
- Skill in coaching, guiding and leading others a plus.
- Proficient in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, etc.) and Google Suite applications.
Salary Range: $82,344 – $100,000 /year
The wage range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill set; experience and training; licensure, certifications, and ordination; and other organizational needs.
How To Apply
Please apply using this link: https://downtown-redeemer.apscareerportal.com/j/01p2b2l.