Music Director: The primary purpose of this position is to provide musical leadership for Sunday worship, especially for the weekly praise team and monthly choir, while also encouraging other ways of incorporating music in the worship service. As with other staff positions, this is an equipping role – equipping others for works of service in the church (Ephesians 4:11-13).
- Work with the Pastor and Worship Committee to fulfill the overall vision for musical arts ministry.
- Investigate and discern ways for us to continue to grow in music ministry here at WSBC.
- Recruit and audition instrumentalists, vocalists and singers for the weekly praise team as well as monthly choir.
- Provide training in worship leading skills.
- Select music each week in conjunction with service theme and consultation with preaching pastor.
- This includes hymns and choruses, contemporary, and gospel music.
- Prepare for rehearsal each week which includes music sheet preparation, choosing tempo and intros, transitions, singers and vocalists, rehearsal order, and prayer.
- Conduct a rehearsal during the week and also on Sunday morning.
- Lead the Praise Band on Sunday morning and at special services (ex. Christmas Eve, Good Friday, and any other special worship services).
- Schedule special music offerings each week that features new music, special selections, monthly choir, organ, backing tracks, etc.
- Meet with Pastor for worship planning and preparation (in-person or via phone/zoom) and with the Worship Committee (normally 4th Sunday of month).
- Christian faith and passion to help people worship God.
- Demonstrated skills in planning, recruitment/supervision of volunteers and managing multiple details.
- Knowledge of the guitar or piano/keyboard with sufficient ability to play hymns, contemporary worship songs and gospel, as well as accompany groups and individuals.
- Demonstrated vocal ability in leading hymns, choruses, and contemporary music.
- Ability to read chord charts and lead sheets, knowledge of basic music theory and ability to perform simple transpositions or re-harmonizations.
- Sensitivity and the ability to interact with a variety of people in a team setting.
- Some knowledge of technology would be helpful (sound systems, microphones, etc.). Do not have to be an experienced operator however.
Supervision: The Music Director reports to the Pastor.
Hours: The Music Director is expected to serve on Sunday morning from 9am to approximately 1pm. Rehearsal occurs during the week as best determined by the Music Director and praise team members and also on Sundays after worship (choir). The Music Director also leads at special services, including (but not limited to) Christmas Eve and Good Friday. A one-hour planning meeting with the Pastor is required each week (time and day to be negotiated) as well as attendance at the monthly Music Committee meeting.
Salary: This year round position is defined as salaried (no overtime pay) and part-time.
How To Apply
Please send resumes to [email protected]. Thank you!