Part time Pastor
Purpose of Position: The pastor ministers to the body of Christ, at First Baptist Church, by providing spiritual leadership and pastoral care to the congregation. The pastor supports the church staff in realizing their vision for ministries within the congregation, the local community, and beyond.
We are looking for a pastor who can grow the Church’s family ministry, and community outreach. We would like a pastor who would work to attract more worshippers to the First Baptist Church, so the congregation can fulfill its mission of being a small family based church with open doors to minister the word of God and welcome all faiths. We are located in the Crompton section of West Warwick, Rhode Island. Our church was founded in 1805 and we have resided in our current building since 1843. We are a congregation of approximately 54 members scattered throughout Rhode Island.
- Lead Sunday morning worship, with the music director and technician, in a way that engages the congregation spiritually, intellectually, and emotionally, motivating commitment and action.
- Preach effective sermons that help congregants develops spiritually and relate faith and scripture to life.
- Lead in communion service once a month.
- Prepare and deliver sermons and lessons at all regular worship services of the church, unless on occasion, the congregation authorizes another to fulfill this responsibility.
- Prepare and lead all special worship events of the church, including Christmas Eve, Holy Week, Thanksgiving, as well as weddings and funerals, unless otherwise provided for as authorized by the church.
- Encourage congregants to discern their own spiritual gifts, develop their gift and their leadership abilities, and engage in the ministries to which they are called.
- Visit sick and home bound persons.
- minister to persons in crisis.
- Provide personal counseling within the parameters of his or her expertise and make referrals to competent individuals/agencies outside the congregation when needed.
- Maintain and implement a plan for maintaining regular contact with church members.
- Coordinate efforts in managing, evaluating, and expanding outreach programs.
- Contact potential members and visitors.
- Develop and build a youth ministry.
- Coordinate church activities, with church staff and church council.
- Keep in contact with ABCORI and local organizations.
- Must be working toward or already be an ordained minister of the Gospel.
- Must possess an understanding of Christian beliefs and theology.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Have a compassionate Shepherd’s heart and the ability and desire to communicate with and provide counseling for members of various ages.
- Professional ability to plan and prioritize tasks, demonstrate exceptional organizational skills, and be able to keep personal member information confidential.
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your resume, three professional references, and a cover letter to [email protected].