First Christian Church (Shell Knob, MO) – Pastor
The Big Picture
First Christian Church (shellknobfirstchristianchurch.org) is seeking a full-time Pastor to be the spiritual leader of our congregation of 100.
First Christian Church is an independent autonomous Christian church founded in 1975. As is typical of lakeside locations, the community is predominately retirees or part-time residents with a burgeoning population during the summer months and a much quieter tempo in the winter season. This is reflected in our church congregation, which is made up of mostly mature working adults and retirees.
The church has been growing steadily, with about 100 in the church family and a typical weekly attendance of about 70 people. We have an active weekly Men’s Bible Study, and a weekly network of five Home Groups, typically meeting mid-week for food, fellowship, Bible study, and prayer. More than half our congregation, plus neighbors and friends, are regular attendees in these Bible studies. We have prayer at 9:00 AM on Sunday, followed by groups that discuss the text for the upcoming sermon. Our 10:00 AM Sunday morning service is available live on Facebook or for later viewing on-line (go to Facebook, and search for “First Christian Church, Shell Knob”). We have a competent music ministry with blended worship songs, and a robust choir for a church of our modest size, who performs annual Christmas and Easter cantatas.
We have an active missions’ program, contributing to eight different ministries, some local, and well as international ministries in Thailand, Israel and Africa. We give a minimum of 20% of all contributions to these missions, though in most years, our giving to missions, our Love Fund and special contributions runs around 33% of all contributions received.
North of town on highway 39 a scenic overlook provides perhaps the most beautiful view in Missouri. From there we minister as far as the eye can see. Shell Knob encompasses the quieter western portion of Table Rock Lake and is the largest unincorporated community in the state. People move here to live in a beautiful place from all over the country who desire to continue a new phase of their adventure. From these the Lord is building His church with joyful exuberant people who love Him and desire to worship and serve Him with others who love Him.
The Shell Knob Christian community is unique in church cooperation, through a local organization known as the Alliance of Churches consisting of nine local churches. Supported entirely by donations (including monthly donations from First Christian Church), it runs the local food bank for the community, and organizes community wide Lenten services, an Easter Sunrise Service, and a Christmas concert. These nine churches participate in summer in one Vacation Bible School for the community. First Christian Church is an active participant and contributes many volunteers.
The pastoral position will become vacant during 2023 due to the retirement of our long time (15+ years) pastor, necessitating this search. The pastor chairs the Elders Committee, which focuses on the spiritual matters of the church. The pastor schedules Elder Meetings as necessary (generally monthly). The church is served currently by five elders, one of whom is the church board chairman. The deacons, currently four in number, join the elders in constituting the Church Board, which has the responsibility of the administrative matters of the church, freeing up the pastor for ministry. A half time church secretary assists both the pastor and the church board. There is also a part time janitor on staff.
We are looking for an experienced pastor, married, with a college degree in theology who will:
- Shepherd and continue encouraging the growth of our congregation, recognizing that ultimately Christ grows the church.
- Lead us to the Lord’s word each week with Bible-based, Holy Spirit-inspired expository messages.
- He will function as the preaching pastor, overseeing all preaching and teaching, even when absent.
- Train and grow leaders among the congregation.
- Strategize, lead, and implement church wide initiatives to further the church mission for the kingdom of God, releasing folks to minister outside the building walls.
- Having a strong pastoral heart, conduct an active visitation program of members, prospects, and the sick.
- Service as an ex officio member of the Church Board, and present a monthly report of the ministry of the church to the board.
- Plan and encourage the neighborhood Home Groups in cooperation with the elders.
$50,000-$60,000 plus parsonage, health insurance and other expenses.
How To Apply
Please look over this job description and the church website. Along with your resume please answer these questions:
- Why do you believe that you might be a good fit as the Senior Pastor at FCC?
- Describe your experiences in ministry and how you may be qualified to serve as the Senior Pastor at FCC?
- In just a few sentences please give a summary of your theology and how that is in line with the beliefs of FCC?
Please send your resume, the answers to these questions and a link to at least one online sermon to [email protected].