DeForest Evangelical Free Church (DeForest, WI) Pastor
The Big Picture
DeForest Evangelical Free Church (defc.net) is seeking a pastor/teaching elder who will focus on aligning our efforts with the work that God seeks to do as we move into the next chapter of our history. Following the retirement of a 30-year teaching elder and the resignation of our current teaching elder, we are seeking a man who possesses a clear calling to the preaching and teaching of the Word of God and who desires to serve the Lord alongside our elder board.
Our church currently has 49 members, with 125 people who attend on a regular basis. Our regular activity schedule includes Sunday morning worship, followed by Sunday school. Prayer meeting is held on Sunday evenings. Youth Group meets on Wednesdays. Both Sunday school and Youth Group recess during the summer months. Our music is traditional from the hymnal as well as other songs that are supported by Scripture. We enjoy Bible based, expository teaching and preaching. We seek unity in the fellowship through the bonds of Christian love, encouragement, and support. Each age group is well-represented within the DEFC fellowship from small children to senior citizens. Families with children make up the majority of the attendees. Children under the age of 12 account for roughly 25 percent of the regular attendees, and another 10 percent are between 13 and 18. Many of our school-age children are home schooled.
The Village of DeForest is in South-Central Wisconsin. We are a short drive from the State’s capital, yet distinctly separate from Madison. DeForest has a small town, Midwest agricultural feel, surrounded by cornfields and country living. Many DeForest residents commute to Madison for work. DeForest provides ready access to six major highways, rail transportation, and Dane County Regional Airport. The community boasts safe, welcoming neighborhoods, friendly faces, and access to numerous lakes, bike trails, hiking, skiing, snowmobiling, and recreational areas (https://datausa.io/profile/geo/deforest-wi/). More than half of the people in our area do not associate with any type of church or religion. The remaining 46% of the population predominantly associate with the Catholic church, Mainline Protestant churches, consisting most notably of Lutherans and Methodists denominations, or Evangelical Protestant churches such as Baptists, Evangelical Free, or non- denominational churches.
The pastor/teaching elder will be responsible for expository preaching and teaching of the Bible.
Primary Shared Responsibilities:
- Give wholeheartedly to the preaching and teaching of God’s Word during worship services.
- Serve with the elders as guardians of the truth as revealed in God’s Word helping to watch over the spiritual welfare of the church.
- Participate with the elders in the development of the church’s prayer ministry.
- Assist the Elder Board in identifying and developing teachers and leaders.
- Develop a system of personal accountability with the Elder Board, including maintaining a purposeful accountability partnership with another man from the Elder Board.
- Perform other tasks as mutually agreed upon with the Elder Board.
- Meet the biblical qualifications for leadership (1 Tim. 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Peter 5:1-4).
- Agree with and commit to support the faith position of DEFC set forth in our Statement of Faith.
- The Statement of Faith does not comprise the full extent of our beliefs.
- The Bible itself, as the inspired and infallible Word of God that speaks with final authority concerning truth, morality, and proper conduct, is the sole and final source of all that we believe at DEFC.
- Be an active participant in agreement with the Elder Board regarding the interpretation of scripture.
- Demonstrate maturity in the faith and have a definite sense of calling to ministry.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited Bible college or seminary is preferred.
- However, a combination of formal education and experience is also highly valued.
- Be ordained, or eligible to be ordained by an acceptable church or ecclesiastical group.
- Previous experience in effective pastoral leadership at an evangelical church is desirable but not required.
$65,000 – $70,000 range plus benefits including health insurance, retirement, and a training stipend.
How To Apply
Please look over this job description and the church website. Along with your resume please answer these questions:
- Why do you believe that you might be a good fit as the Pastor at DEFC?
- Describe your experiences in ministry and how you may be qualified to serve as the Pastor of DECF?
- In just a few sentences please give a summary of your theology and how that is in line with the doctrine of DECF?
Please send your resume, the answers to these questions and a link to at least one online sermon to [email protected].