Mission: To make disciples of Jesus Christ through the transformation of the world.
Core Strategies: Reaching | Teaching | Serving | Caring
Vision: That everyone in the surrounding community will have the opportunity to know Christ and deepen their faith.
The former Yorktown United Methodist Church in Yorktown, Indiana is in search of a full time pastor beginning on or after ember 1, 2022. The church has not yet identified affiliation with another denomination or to remain an independent church. They will be exploring these options with the new pastor. The church is looking for a pastor who will be responsible for leading the congregation and community in a closer relationship with Jesus Christ. The pastor will serve as the spiritual leader of the Christian faith, preach weekly sermons, lead the visionary spiritual journey of the church, organize charitable activities and church events, and meet with members of the congregation to help them strengthen their faith or overcome significant life changes.
Relation To Mission:
The call of the church is to make new believers of Jesus Christ; to challenge all believers with Discipleship Pathways to strengthen their faith and Christian journey; and to serve Jesus by serving the community.
The Pastor will have helped lead the congregation through the process of aligning their Biblical based beliefs with a denomination or independent status. The Pastor will reach out to the congregation and the community through pathway experiences beyond Sunday morning worship attendance. Relationships will be a key element in the success of the church to attract new families.
- Preach the Word of God in weekly sermons such that it illuminates Scripture, teaches sound doctrine, inspires godly living, and encourages and motivates the congregation to follow the Lord Jesus Christ more fully.
- In partnership with the Leadership Council and Ministry Teams develop and implement outreach ministries that advance the gospel and care for those in need.
- Be a visionary leader to help the church to serve the community and to grow in love of Jesus and those served by the church.
- Implement a comprehensive ministry strategy for serving multi-generations. ● Encourage coordinated prayer gatherings and other small group interaction. ● Officiate at weddings, baptisms, and funerals, including performing requisite planning. ● Represent the church in local events and ministerial relationships.
- Serve as an ex officio member of the Leadership Council and the Ministry Team. ● Serve as primary supervisor for all paid and non-paid staff members and meet routinely for growth, sharing, vision, and ensuring teamwork. Communication is important. ● Be responsible for visitation and counseling. Visitation will include but is not limited to hospitals, nursing homes, shut-ins, and new attendees. Counseling includes crisis, marriage, and pre-marital.
- An advanced degree in ministry or Biblical training from an accredited seminary is preferred.
- Evidence of ongoing professional growth through continuing professional development is strongly preferred.
Specialized knowledge Preferred
- Must be an excellent communicator skilled at teaching the Bible in a relevant, compelling, and theologically accurate manner.
- Ability to work with and lead others
- Digitally competent
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate in both written and verbal formats
Personal Characteristics Expected
- Mature Christian
- Team Player
- Absolute trust in the Bible’s testimony of God, His creation, and His church.
- Documented ability to faithfully teach the Bible in relevant and compelling manner.
- Prior successful experience as a Senior Pastor or senior-level leadership role within a church.
- A reputation of working well with others and commitment to a team approach to ministry to the local Body of Christ, the community, and beyond.
- Respect for the Wesleyan traditions of this church as expressed by the sermons of John Wesley.
Compensation & Benefits:
The position is open as of December 1, 2022 although the actual start date is flexible. We anticipate offering the selected candidate an employment contract that provides for a base salary, paid housing via provision of a parsonage and utilities, paid vacation and significant participation and contributions to the Pastor’s healthcare and retirement programs.
In addition, an allocation of funds to be used for professional expenses and professional development expenses will be included.
The final compensation package will be flexible and based on the selected candidate’s needs in discussion with that specific candidate.
2301 South Broadway
Yorktown, IN 47396
How To Apply
The church has not yet made a decision to affiliate with another denomination or to remain an independent church. The Leadership Council will be exploring these options with the new pastor after they are hired and therefore a comfort level with the ambiguity of the situation and direction is expected.
If you are interested in pursuing this opportunity, please email [email protected] indicating your interest ideally by November 1, 2022 and your preferred method of being contacted. Please include a current resume with a minimum of two professional and one personal reference complete with contact information.
Please feel free to include any additional information that you believe would be informative to our interviewing team. Some examples would include a link to a recent video of a sermon, a written transcript/outline of a sermon; and/or a copy of an Ordination Paper or an essay outlining your essential theological beliefs. While not mandatory, we would find it helpful as well if in your letter of interest you chose to briefly address either or both of the following questions:
1) What attracts you to Yorktown Church (not the final name)?
2) How would you help a nearly 170-year-old church recently disaffiliated from the United Methodist Church to grow, remain faithful, and be relevant in the 21st century?
We will begin reviewing applications as we receive them, and we encourage you to submit yours by e-mail at [email protected]. Please submit all attachments in standard .pdf format. The Staff Parish Relations (SPR) Committee will acknowledge all applications and keep you informed about the process. If you have questions, contact our SPR chair, Gayle Gernand at [email protected] or 765-760-2229.