Pastor of Discipleship Position Description – Position Objective
Provide focus and drive in accomplishing the Grace mission: “To make biblical disciples of Jesus Christ.”
The objective of the pastor of discipleship is to provide pastoral leadership, oversight, strategic framework, teaching, training, and development for all areas of discipleship at Grace. This individual will heighten the discipleship DNA at Grace.
The pastor of discipleship has a heart and calling for making disciples who know and follow Jesus Christ eventually making other disciples themselves; is capable of cultivating a disciple-making culture within the body of Grace; and gifted to preach and teach. The pastor of discipleship loves people, engaging with them, and is capable of effectively building and managing fruitful, trusting relationships with many in a short period of time.
The pastor of discipleship will engage and personally lead men’s mentoring, life group ministry, discipleship pathway, and discipleship training. The pastor of discipleship will integrate with and come alongside men’s, women’s, women’s mentoring, children’s, student, and next generation ministries. Fruits of this discipleship effort will include deeper evidences of the character of Christ in our lives, remaining strong in Christ through trials and temptations, service in the Body of Christ, sharing the Gospel with the lost, and discipling others, as we learn to conform to Biblical precepts more consistently.
The position is a full-time salaried position with health, retirement, and vacation benefits.
Primary Duties – the pastor of discipleship will:
1. Plan– develop a Gospel-centered church-wide discipleship plan including objectives and strategies with clear progress markers for everyone from children to senior adults. The plan will be consistent with the values and mission of Grace and shall be approved by leadership team.
2. Do The Plan – lead by example in the execution of the church-wide discipleship plan including:
a. Teaching, enabling, and equipping those at Grace to also become disciple makers. Ensuring that all among us have had opportunity to know and experience what being a disciple means.
b. serving as the lead and building ministry teams for:
i. men’s mentoring – to be built from the ground up; will encourage participation in mentoring relationships. The pastor of discipleship will be continuously engaged in mentoring relationships.
ii. life groups – build on what’s already working at Grace. Continually recruit, train, empower, encourage life group leaders so that they are personally growing and equipping future leaders. The pastor of discipleship is expected to personally lead a life group.
iii. Discipleship pathway – develop the disciple growth process and guide the church in progressing through the steps.
iv. Biblically based discipleship training and instruction – Sunday school teaching and other venues as necessary.
c. working closely with staff and ministry leads to ensure all demographics are included in a well-integrated discipleship initiative. Provide additional pastoral oversight as required with regard to discipleship for the following ministries: men’s, women’s, women’s mentoring, children’s, student, and next generation.
d. helping people realize the gifts God has given them and applying those gifts through service at Grace.
e. preparing, guiding, and encouraging us to build relationships with the lost leading to the sharing of God’s Good News.
3. Pray – ensure that prayer (both individual and corporate) is the foundation of our personal growth in discipleship.
General and Administrative Duties – The pastor of discipleship will:
1. Teach and preach the Word of God, assume preaching and worship responsibilities as needed and agreed upon by the lead pastor.
2. Report to the lead pastor providing progress, significant observations, issues to be resolved, counsel requests, and prayer requests and routine administrative job responsibilities as requested.
3. Be on location Sundays and weekdays when not on appointment or engaged in other church sponsored activity helping to provide consistent onsite pastoral presence.
4. Participate on the leadership team as requested by the lead pastor.
5. Participate and play a support role in Sunday worship and other all church events.
6. Will promote, embrace, and apply the use of technology in furthering the mission of Grace. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, social media, and ability to work/learn using the church database (Grace Connect).
7. Attend staff meetings and coordinate with other staff and ministry teams ensuring unity in purpose.
8. Be willing to assist with hospital and home visits, weddings, funerals, and counseling, as assigned by the lead pastor, or upon request of individuals or families.
9. Manage an annual budget and financial goals for the discipleship strategies of the church.
Expectations – The pastor of discipleship:
1. Must have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, trust in the authority of the Word of God, a strong personal faith grounded in a life of prayer, a study of the scriptures, a reliance on the Holy Spirit, and a close community with other believers.
2. Possess a heart and calling to make disciples of Jesus Christ who become disciple makers themselves and a demonstrated commitment to same.
3. Shall be credentialed or agree to work toward credentialing by the Evangelical Covenant Church in accordance with their duties and responsibilities. Must be supportive of and committed to the ministries of the Evangelical Covenant Church and the Conference.
4. Will demonstrate spiritual and emotional maturity consistent with the qualifications set forth in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9.
5. Will express and promote a real love for one another as disciples of Jesus Christ.
6. Will have strong relational, organizational, management, and communication skills that can relate to people of all ages.
7. Should be thick-skinned, not easily offended, and have a good sense of humor.
8. Will allocate sufficient time for personal spiritual health and growth.
9. Has the condition of continued service requiring his spouse and children, less than 17 years of age, to be regular attendees of Grace.
10. Demonstrates a pattern of interest, attendance, and involvement in the overall life of the church, with particular emphasis on engaging men and families in the discipleship pathway.
11. Develops interpersonal relationships with the congregation and community.
12. Regularly assess the current needs of the body to better equip our church to make disciples.
13. Ensures every member is well trained to serve the church, share the gospel, and disciple others.
14. Must be agile and able to manage shifting priorities.
Qualifications: Master of Divinity or equivalent
1. Active pastoral leadership (5 years preferred) discipling others through:
b. life groups
2. Ministry team leadership (functioned as team leader)
3. Church leadership
1. A growing disciple of Jesus Christ.
2. Evidence of Christian character and servant leadership.
3. Demonstrate a clear call to vocational ministry.
4. A continual pursuit of integrity.
5. Humility and honesty in all areas of life.
6. Responds effectively to pastoral supervision.
7. Personality, temperament and interpersonal skills to relate and serve effectively.
8. A love for others.
A Short History of Grace Covenant Church
We began meeting as a Bible study at Redeemer Covenant Church with the objective of planting a daughter congregation in the Syracuse area. Redeemer was in a growth phase and encouraged 11 families totaling 34 people to meet and pray together with Bill Anthes, who would later pastor Grace Covenant for 23 years. Seventy people attended our first service in March 1991 at rented space in a Cicero office park.
Three years later we purchased a building that had been a fence store in Clay, and after reconfiguring the structure we held our first service in the summer of 1994. Continued growth led to a build-out that included doubling the size of the sanctuary and the addition of five classrooms in 2001. The members of Grace participated in the building construction.
Increased attendance led to an increase in programs for children, youth, and adults, as well as the addition of paid staff to help church members participate in the programs. We revised the Bylaws in 2008 to improve the coordination of leadership by organizing ministry teams for the various activities and programs.
Pastor Bill Anthes retired in December 2014 and for nearly 18 months we relied on our lay leadership for leading and preaching the Word. The congregation increased in size during this period as we relied on the Holy Spirit for guidance. In May 2016 John Goss began his tenure as our pastor. In June 2021 the congregation decided to place a greater emphasis on discipleship in response to Jesus’ command to “make disciples of all the nations.” (Matthew 28:19)
Points of Interest in Central New York:
Grace Evangelical Covenant Church (GECC) is a thriving community of believers located in the town of Clay, County of Onondaga, New York. We invite candidates to visit our website to learn more about our staff and our core beliefs, all centered around our Savior, Jesus Christ. https://www.gracecovchurch.org.
Grace Evangelical Covenant Church is in the heart of Central New York in proximity of the famous Finger Lakes, Adirondack Mountains, and the Great Lake Ontario. A perfect location for a four-season outdoor enthusiast! We are just minutes from cultural, historical, and sporting activities in Syracuse. Central New York is a very family friendly area.
How To Apply
Please email search committee representative Don Godard at [email protected]. Blessings.