Pastor of Discipleship and Families
Covenant Presbyterian Church
Pastor of Discipleship and Families
Denomination: Evangelical Presbyterian Church
Weekly Attendance: 130
Location: Reno, NV
The Role: Pastor of Discipleship and Families
Covenant Presbyterian Church Building Meet Covenant Presbyterian Church:
Covenant Presbyterian Church is an Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC), where we make the distinction that not only do “people” matter; every person matters. We are community-minded. A large portion of our resources goes to serve those outside of our walls, in our neighborhoods, and throughout our city. We place a high value on education. Specifically, teaching the whole Word of God.
Because our church is multi-generational, we believe that our children and young families are not just the future of our church; they are a vital part of our church today.
Covenant Presbyterian Church Service About the Pastor of Discipleship and Families:
Because our church is multi-generational, we believe that our children and young families are not just the future of our church; they are a vital part of our church today. The main purpose of this position is to lead a concerted effort to live out these our core values. To bring focus and continuity—to “keep the main thing the main thing”—in all that we do, and to coordinate and lead our family ministries. We are seeking a person who loves the LORD and who will champion the discipleship of all people, helping us together and individually to become more like Him.
Covenant Presbyterian VBS classroom The Pastor of Discipleship and Families’ Responsibilities Include:
- Christian Education/Discipleship
- Develop and lead our church in a holistic (cradle-to-grave) strategy to draw people closer to the Lord.
- Work together with Ministry Teams to develop Discipleship ministry including vision, goals, and benchmarks
- Small Groups
- Develop Small Group ministry as a primary avenue for the spiritual growth for members.
- Work with Ministry Teams to develop vision, goals, and benchmarks for the Small Group Ministry.
- Evaluate and recommend curriculum for Small Groups.
- Continually recruit, train, and empower Small Group leaders and equip them to disciple others.
- Family Ministries
- Actively lead all Children’s and Youth Ministries, participating and delegating as appropriate.
- Proactively manage and empower Family Ministries Staff (currently consists of Youth Leader, Interim Sunday School Director, Interim Kid’s Club Director, Nursery Lead).
Covenant Presbyterian Church Playground What You Bring:
The following describes many of the characteristics of the ideal candidate for the Pastor of Discipleship and Family Ministries:
- Education & Experience
- College degree & Bible/Seminary training, preferred.
- Education and experience in ministry leadership and teaching roles.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Expertise in and desire to develop discipleship methods and models
- Strong skills in current digital platforms
- Ability to consider new solutions for ongoing improvement
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Committed to proactively soliciting input and expertise from staff and church members, as well as from resources outside of the church.
- Administrative Skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Able to “keep several balls in the air” and design mechanisms across the organization to create and maintain continuity.
- Able to ensure all tasks are done correctly, thoroughly, and with precision.
- Personal Characteristics & Qualifications
- The candidate must meet the qualifications of 1 Timothy 3:1-7 & Titus 1:6-9.
- Theologically reformed and willing to participate in and submit to Presbyterian Polity, specifically the EPC denomination.
- Must demonstrate a clear call to vocational ministry.
- Must have sufficient experience in discipleship and family ministries.
- Must be in full agreement with the beliefs of the EPC.
- Must possess a clear conviction that all of God’s people are to make disciples; seeks to fulfill the Great Commission.
- Humbly committed to working with other pastors, elders, staff, and church members.
- Loves to engage people personally and build relationships.
- Relational over attractional.
Covenant Presbyterian Church Team What it’s Like to Live in Reno, NV:
Reno, Nevada, ‘The Biggest Little City in the World,’ is located 45 minutes from beautiful Lake Tahoe, surrounded by mountains with the Truckee River flowing through the heart of the city. The Church is located in the up and coming Midtown District that has quickly become the cultural center of Reno offering a wide range of food and dining options, unique local shops, and murals.
Reno is home to approximately 250,000 people (460,000 metro area) of which Barna Research Group listed in 2017 as the second Most Unchurched City in America, second to San Francisco.