Pastor of Discipleship
New River Church in Manchester, CT, is a Christ-centered, discipleship-focused community and an accredited church with the Christian & Missionary Alliance. Our vision is to overflow with the life of Jesus, transforming our communities with His love. The four pillars of our mission are to enjoy Jesus, encourage people, equip disciple-makers, and engage culture. We seek to empower small groups to impact their local community through discipling relationships and meeting needs. In addition to Sunday mornings, ministry takes place in living rooms, coffee shops and around the kitchen table. We believe that the local church should multiply in every way: Christians growing other Christians; leaders developing other leaders; life groups starting other life groups, and the church starting other churches.
We are seeking a Pastor of Discipleship & Counseling to oversee our Life Group ministry, which drives New River’s deep discipleship and community engagement. This includes:
- Developing a support model for sustainable growth of groups and ministry teams including counseling and access to resources.
- Identifying gifts and talents within the body and enlisting and equipping leaders.
- Providing pastoral counseling and referring to outside professionals when appropriate.
- Developing a sustainable model for training, equipping and supporting volunteer pastoral counselors.
- Launching new life groups and ministry teams.
- Oversee the process of welcoming guests and helping them connect with New River.
- Preach occasionally at the direction of the Senior Pastor.
- This position requires a bachelor’s degree in Ministry, Pastoral Counseling or Biblical Studies.
- Candidates already licensed or ordained with the Christian & Missionary Alliance (C&MA) are preferred.
- All candidates must be able to meet licensing and ordination requirements with the C&MA.
- We are seeking someone who has a demonstrated ability to make disciples, develop teams and create plans of action.
- Skills in Biblical counseling and accessing counseling resources are preferred, as are cultural competencies to connect with diverse communities.
Manchester, CT is a suburban community of about 60,000 located just northeast of Hartford, CT. The town has a diverse population with many options for recreation, dining, arts and culture drawing younger professionals. The town is home to Connecticut’s largest community college and is within 15 minutes from the University of Connecticut.
How To Apply
To be considered for this position, please forward your resume and any accompanying materials to the New England District office of the C&MA, attention:
Please do not contact the church directly.