Pastor of English Ministry
Wilmington Community Evangelical Church (Hockessin, DE)
Pastor of English Ministry
Nestled in a suburban community in the northern region of Delaware is an English speaking congregation within a church founded by Chinese immigrants. Over the decades, slow but steady progress grew this congregation into not just a band of middle and high schoolers but also some college students and a growing circle of adult believers and seekers. This congregation encompasses first, second, and third generation Asian immigrants as well as some non-Asian Americans. Cross-cultural couples also make up an important ministry focus.
For this reason, someone with a Chinese background, experience as a missionary in an Asian context, or in ministry in an Asian context would be beneficial. Someone with experience in a cross-cultural environment may be considered.
The key responsibilities of this position involve preaching and teaching, conducting ordinances, (e.g., baptism, Holy Communion, etc.), discipleship/training lay leaders, visitation, counseling, servant leadership and extending hospitality to people.
The expectation is that the pastor should preach as well as plan and execute curriculum and events in alignment with the English Ministry mission. He should also review the ministry progress with the board and lay leaders. The pastor will need to be a team player and a communicator. It is not expected that the pastor will do everything himself, but he must be able to train and equip coworkers and delegate responsibilities.
The pastor would find the time to connect with both believers and seekers outside of church activities. The pastor’s family should become an important part of this family of God. The pastor is also expected to collaborate with the youth pastor and all lay English Ministry co-workers. He is also to coordinate events with the Mandarin Ministry Pastor and the Children’s Ministry Director.
Outside of the heart of a shepherd, love of connecting with people, and love of learning, organizational skill is an important criteria in this position. It is expected that in the interview process, the prospective candidate provides a self-evaluation on his strengths and weaknesses as a pastor and as a team player.
● Evangelical faith
● Education: Master of Divinity
● Agreement with WCEC’s statement of faith
● Prior experience with Chinese culture is preferred, experience in a cross-cultural environment is required. Preference given to those who are Asian or have lived in Asia
● Some experience in counseling
● Ability to train lay leaders
● Passionate about living a life of faith in Jesus Christ
● Enjoys connecting with people of all ages
● Practices hospitality frequently
● Love of learning and teaching
● Preaching and planning sermon calendar with input from EM Leadership Team
● Leading seekers to become believers
● One-on-one discipleship
● Developing lay leaders
● Provide words and acts of comfort and encouragement to individuals
● Experience in ministry to college students, post-college young adults and/or young married couples would be beneficial
How To Apply
Please look over this job description and the church website. Along with your resume please answer these three questions:
- Why do you believe that you might be a good fit as the English Pastor for WCEC?
- Describe your experiences in ministry and how you may be qualified to serve as the English Pastor of WCEC?
- In just a few sentences please give a summary of your theology and how that is in line with the doctrine of WCEC.
Please send your resume, a sermon link, and the answers to these questions to [email protected].