New Castle Bible Church (Mackinaw, IL) –
Pastor of Preaching & Leadership
The Big Picture
New Castle Bible Church (myncbc.org) is seeking to hire a gifted spiritual shepherd who will be the Pastor of Preaching and Leadership.
The Pastor of Preaching and Leadership provides pastoral leadership to our church through his preaching, prayer, care, and vision. He is ultimately responsible for the preaching of our church (although he may choose to involve other elders in the regular preaching rotation as desired), and for cultivating a spirit of humble dependence and prayer among our church leadership. He must model prayer for our church. Our Pastor of Preaching and Leadership is also responsible to care for our members’ spiritual needs in partnership with the other elders and pastoral staff. He also plays a significant role in the mentorship/leadership development of our staff and leaders. Finally, he is responsible to lead our church’s vision and mission in partnership with the rest of the elders at New Castle Bible Church. He will work alongside the elders, pastors, and ministry staff as a member of the leadership teams.
As the Pastor of Preaching and Leadership at New Castle Bible Church, he is an elder-qualified man serving in specific areas of pastoral ministry. He serves our leaders with strategic vision grounded in the Scriptures and fueled by faith in God’s sufficiency. He may serve the congregation in general or in specific roles of spiritual equipping and oversight as determined by the elders. In addition, he is authorized by the church to perform the duties of pastoral ministry which include preaching and teaching in the public worship services of the church, performing weddings and funerals, administering the ordinances of Baptism and Communion, providing care and counsel to the congregation, and supporting the discipleship ministries of the church.
As the Pastor of Preaching and Leadership at New Castle Bible Church, he is not individually expected to perform all the work of this ministry, but rather to “equip” and “build up” the church for the work of this ministry (Eph 4:11-12). The following job description necessarily assumes a team approach to serving this ministry.
Defining Priorities & Values of New Castle Bible Church:
All expressions of the Pastor of Preaching and Leadership’s ministry must promote our church’s mission to glorify God by growing deeper into God’s Word and reaching farther into the world with the Gospel. He must uphold the core values of our church family for the promotion of God’s glory among us:
- Heart: We value humble dependence, or faith. (Hebrews 11:6)
- Head: We value doctrinal soundness, or truth. (John 17:17)
- Home: We value relational wholeness, or love. (John 13:34-35)
- Hands: We value missional faithfulness, or witness. (Matthew 28:18-20)
Expectations for our Pastor of Preaching and Leadership
- Clear testimony of faith in Jesus Christ.
- Displaying a high level of passion that is compatible with humility (1 Timothy 4:15b-16).
- Performs job responsibilities in a kind manner that is not harsh or stern (1 Tim 3:3; Phil 4:5, 2:5-8) o Has a heart for people and truly cares for those who need a Savior (Titus 1:8-9).
- Heart for making disciples who know and follow Jesus Christ, who make other disciples.
- Maintaining the character qualities of biblical eldership.
- Growing in an awe of and love for God through regular prayer and Bible study.
- Maintaining biblical priorities, especially regarding home/family responsibilities.
- Committed to pursuing humility, servanthood, and a faithful witness to the community.
- Appetite for continued learning regarding discipleship and biblical counseling.
- In agreement with the doctrines and practices of the church.
- Actively involved in biblical community with others.
Calling & Education
- Solid desire to serve as Pastor of Teaching and Leadership in a growing pastoral staff o Gifted by God to serve NCBC in this role.
- Continuing in ongoing education and personal character development.
- Experience in working in a secular position is beneficial, but not a prerequisite.
- Master of Divinity degree strongly preferred but not required.
Experience & Required Skills
- Must be a man humbly devoted to the ministry of God’s Word and prayer (Acts 6:4).
- Must be able to competently minister God’s Word both in public and private (Acts 20:20).
- Must be a 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9 man.
- Must be willing to shepherd as described in 1 Peter 5:1-4.
- Must be an excellent time-manager who is able to bring a high level of consistent quality to multiple ministries simultaneously.
- Must be gifted to teach and preach.
- Must be able to train and equip spiritual leaders.
- Must be able to influence, motivate, and unite others to achieve the mission of New Castle Bible Church, while fostering unity in the body of Christ (1 Peter 5:2-3).
Ministry to the church at large
- Performing the duties of pastoral ministry, which regularly include preaching & teaching.
- Performing weddings and funerals.
- Administering the ordinances of baptism and communion.
- Supporting the discipleship ministries of the church.
- Supervising the leadership development ministries of the church.
- Supporting other church ministries with regular encouragement, attendance, and prayer.
- Visiting people on hospital day assigned and visit shut-ins monthly.
- Discipling men and provide shepherding and counseling of people as needed.
- “In conjunction with the rest of the elders, give direction to the development of future leaders in the church, including elders and deacons.”
- Any special projects as assigned by Elders.
- Reports to the Personnel Team regarding day-to-day ministry operations and for spiritual guidance, oversight, and encouragement.
- Regularly meets with elders to collaborate on the development of ministry vision and strategy o Attends regular and specially scheduled staff meetings, retreats and fellowship gatherings.
$70,000 to 90,000 plus extensive benefits.
How To Apply
Please look over this job description and the church website. Along with your resume please answer these questions:
- Why do you believe that you might be a good fit as the Pastor for Preaching/Leadership at New Castle Bible Church?
- Describe your experiences in ministry and how you may be qualified to serve as the Pastor for Preaching/Leadership at New Castle Bible Church?
- In just a few sentences please give a summary of your theology and how that is in line with the doctrine of New Castle Bible Church?
Please send your resume, the answers to these questions and a link to at least one online sermon to [email protected].