Pastor of Second Congregational Church
Second Congregational Church of Peabody is a small, tightly-knit community on the North Shore of Massachusetts. Our members are actively engaged in worship and the functions of the church as well as the greater Peabody community. We own a beautiful historic church building, a building of classrooms and offices, and a parsonage, all within walking distance of each other. We are looking for a part-time pastoral candidate to help shepherd the congregation in the coming years.
The job requires a thorough understanding of the scriptures and an outgoing attitude. We ask that the individual to fill this role be able to preach regularly (and if unable to, arrange for pulpit supply), coordinate sermon topics with our Director of Music, and be available to teach at informal venues as needed.
The church body is active and needs guidance in its doings. It is essential that the right candidate be able to own and craft a vision for the Church. This includes, but is not limited to, collaborating and supporting the Board of Deacons, the Director of Community and culture, and the Director of Music, as well as helping to develop leadership and spirituality for members of the Missions Committee, Christian Education Committee, Worship Committee, Board of Deacons, the Board of Finance, and Board of Trustees.
The congregation is one in need of care. As a relational church this care is often most effectively provided via the relationships that are forged within our community. Care should be available for those in need. In addition to care through relationships, this position asks that a candidate be able to perform child dedications, as well as funeral and wedding ceremonies when available.
– Preach on a regular basis in the Sunday service (at least 46 times per year)
– Arrange for pulpit supply on the Sundays when not preaching (help is available from the Deacons and staff, if needed)
– Collaborate preaching topic with the Director of Music (part-time staff member) to craft the service
– Teach in more informal venues as needed in the church i.e. Bible studies, etc.
– Cast, care, champion and model the overall vision for the church
– Provide support for the Board of Deacons and coordinate with them in the spiritual care of the church.
– Develop people in leadership and spirituality for the Board of Deacons, Missions Committee, Christian Education Committee, Board of Finance, Worship Committee, and Board of Trustees
– Develop relationships with people in the church as a basis for providing pastoral care
– Provide pastoral care and support for those who are in need
– Perform Child Dedications for those who request it and qualify for it
– Perform weddings and funerals as available
– Master of Divinity degree, or other relevant theological education
How To Apply
If interested, please email your resume, preaching samples, and cover letter to