Pastoral Resident Job Description
Ponce Presbyterian Church is pursuing a pastoral resident for our center city church. This position is a two-year role which will serve as preparation for becoming either a parish pastor or a church planter. The candidate will have the opportunity to minister in various contexts that are consistent with a diverse metropolitan city, serving a community shaped by Tier 1 Research universities, homelessness, international immigrants, business professionals, the LGBTQ+ community, and industry leaders in medicine, technology, media, and the arts. Our church ranges in size from 175-225 men, women, and children.
Qualified candidates for this two-year residency should be actively exploring a calling to either church planting or church revitalization. Candidates must have completed a Master of Divinity (or equivalent degree) or be able to complete the degree from Atlanta during the first year of employment while pursuing ordination. Beyond expectations of godly character and spiritual maturity, ideal candidates will have experience ministering in cross- cultural contexts and a desire to grow in cross-cultural adaptability and competency. Further, candidates must desire to develop gifts particularly required of church planters and lead pastors.
The resident’s job description will address either church planting or church revitalization, but general responsibilities will include:
- Complete licensure and ordination.
- Participate in weekly training and coaching with Ponce Church pastors, including
- study program, regular performance reviews, and pastoral shepherding.
- Interact regularly with other pastoral fellows through the Made to Flourish network.
- Regular (at least monthly) preaching opportunities at Ponce Church and sister/ daughter congregations.
- Assist in leading weekly worship liturgy.
- Teach regularly in various Ponce Church settings, including Sunday School (for adults and children) and community groups.
- Start and lead a new community group, providing pastoral care, counseling, and equipping to participants.
- Recruit and develop a discipleship group to shepherd and equip potential future leaders.
- Assist pastors and session with developing and implementing annual ministry plans.
- Coordinate assimilation process, overseeing Welcome Team and membership process.
- Participate in outreach ministry to the surrounding community, especially the homeless community and working professionals in nearby apartment complexes.
- Provide oversight and assistance to men’s, college, and youth ministry.
- Network and refine sense of calling to future ministry opportunities.
- Candidates pursuing church planting will be required to participate in:
- MNA Church Planter Assessment.
- Metro Atlanta Collective cohort.
This residency does not require fundraising and is commensurate with full-time pastoral positions for candidates of similar experience.
Goals & Career Trajectory
- To develop a love of God and a heart for His Kingdom.
- To be fully trained and equipped as a pastor.
- To discern his future calling as either a church planter or parish pastor.
How To Apply
Rev. Tolivar Wills | (978) 473-6660
[email protected] (please send cv’s to Pastor Wills’ email address)