Associate Pastor of Military Ministries and Spiritual Formation
Weekly Attendance: 787
Location: Kitsap County, Washington
The Role: Associate Pastor of Military Ministries and Spiritual Formation
Meet Peninsula Bible Fellowship:
A non-denominational, Bible-believing church, Peninsula Bible Fellowship serves members of all ages, and at all stages of life. The church welcomes all those who want to know more about Christ, no matter what place you may be in faith or in life. Our faith and worship are centered on the Word of God, and the Gospel is the core of everything we do.
Founded in 1976, the church has been led by Pastor Brent James since December 2011. Long focused on mission and outreach, this church has been a leadership incubator for numerous ministry and mission programs locally and around the world including Children of the Nations, SIM, Frontier Ventures, and Wycliffe.
About the Associate Pastor of Military Ministries and Spiritual Formation:
The Associate Pastor of Military Ministries and Spiritual Formation will lead the congregation to better love our military neighbors in Kitsap county, to grow disciples from both officer and enlisted military men and women, building a missional movement among military people and their families through military believers and outreach. They will also provide strategic leadership to Spiritual Formation initiatives in support of PBF’s Discipleship pathway.
The Associate Pastor of Military Ministries and Spiritual Formation Responsibilities:
- Develop, establish and implement missional strategies regarding the military community/culture.
- Conduct timely and appropriate follow-ups of all military guests who come into contact with our church at both locations.
- Serve as a liaison and ambassador of Peninsula Bible in the community, nation, and world among churches, chaplains, para-church ministry leaders, military personnel, and related military networks.
- Represent Peninsula Bible Fellowship in direct and positive ways, bringing back the best practices and applying them to our community and ministries.
- Create and manage military-specific small groups for Peninsula Bible.
- Disciple and mentor military men.
- Oversee Peninsula Bible Military Social Media Channels (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram).
- Maintain a vital and growing personal walk with the Lord through personal Bible study and prayer, as well as personal accountability with other Christians.
- Attend weekly staff meetings to be a voice for the military community as PBF thinks and dreams about engagement strategies.
- Develop, execute and refine the strategy of Spiritual Formation with a focus on Spiritual Disciplines, Adult Education, and Conferences.
- Preach and lead regularly on Sunday mornings as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
- Teach adult classes.
- Recruit and develop teachers and leaders for military ministry, adult classes, and spiritual formation implementation.
- Design, plan and organize mission trips.
- Organize and implement special outreach activities (like a Military Appreciation Day Picnic).
- Create opportunities for teaching the PBF congregation about the unique mission field around military communities, including guest speakers, base visits, and opportunities to serve.
- Create programs and opportunities to honor military veterans, working with church staff and senior leadership to fit into the calendar schedule.
- Other duties as assigned.
What You Bring:
Education & Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- A Master’s Degree in theology or biblical studies is strongly preferred.
- Experience in either serving in the military or serving the military community is required.
- Experience with developing leaders and programs in a local church is strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills; communicates effectively through all levels of the organization.
- Ability to be detail and task-oriented.
- Strong organizational skills and administrative capabilities.
- A clear understanding of base privileges and rules.
- A consistently demonstrated ability to recognize and deal with particular priorities.
Personal Characteristics & Qualifications
- Exhibit a personal faith in Jesus Christ as Lord, seeking to grow in faith.
- High level of integrity and dependability.
- Personal effectiveness, demonstrates respect for others, integrity, discretion, and consistency in word and deed, able to accept changes and constructive feedback.
- Self-directed and takes the initiative.
- An entrepreneurial spirit that enjoys creating and developing new ministries.
- Strategic thinker.
- Team-oriented and works well in a collaborative environment.
What it’s Like to Live in Kitsap County, Washington:
Kitsap County is filled with 3 mid-sized communities including Bremerton, Silverdale, and Poulsbo nestled between the Puget Sound and the Hood Canal at the base of Olympic National Park. Within a 30 minute commute, you can be in the heart of Seattle, the home of Starbucks, Microsoft, Amazon, and Boeing, but if you turn the other way, you would enter some of the most beautiful wilderness surrounded by majestic snow-capped mountains. It’s also the home of Naval Base Kitsap, the 3rd largest naval base in the United States with more than 13,000 active-duty sailors and marines.
How To Apply
Submit your resume here.