First Baptist Church, East Greenwich Rhode Island is looking for a part-time senior minister who will lead this faith-based, American Baptist community as it grows in worship, fellowship and community. We are particularly seeking a pastor who will be creative and adaptive as we seek to become who we are next.
- Possess a Master’s degree (Master of Divinity preferred) from an accredited seminary or currently be enrolled in a Master’s degree program at an accredited seminary.
- Hold an American Baptist ordination or meet the ordination requirements established by American Baptist Churches of Rhode Island.
- Have exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Have an ability to work well with other professional staff and the laity in planning the worship experience and church programs.
- Possess organizational skills and the ability to prioritize tasks.
- Conduct worship with sermons that challenge and move the congregation spiritually and are relevant to the communities around us.
- Work closely with the Director of Music and the Board of Deacons in planning and executing the worship program.
- Prepare and lead all special services of the church including but not limited to Christmas Eve, Holy Week, weddings and funerals.
- Lead the congregation through preaching, teaching and example.
- Provide pastoral care for members of the congregation who are housebound, hospitalized or in crisis.
- Work with the Board of Deacons to see that a shared visitation program is in place for all housebound congregants.
- In counseling situations, make appropriate referrals to outside agencies/individuals when the level of counseling is outside of the pastor’s expertise.
- Be familiar with counseling resources in the community.
- Work with the Board of Deacons in maintaining regular contact with the congregation.
- Provide training to the congregation in outreach and evangelism.
- Take an active role in welcoming new worshippers and invite them to participate in worship and in the life of the church.
- Participate in local activities including working with other pastors in a spirit of ecumenical sharing of the Gospel.
- Work with others in the congregation in helping to continue the national and international commitment in mission activities.
- Work with the Boards and the Women’s Alliance in continuing the many fellowship programs that have long been part of the church.
- Be willing to suggest other creative opportunities for fun and fellowship.
- Promote along with the Board of Trustees the use of our facilities for community groups.
- Work with the Director of Christian Education to provide strong educational programs to the youth and adults in the church.
- Work in accordance with the By-Laws and the appropriate boards in supervising and supporting all staff.
- Write a monthly Evangel article.
- Work with the Church Council in developing a Strategic Plan.
- Establish regular office hours.
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter and current resume to: [email protected].