Narberth Presbyterian Church (Narberth, PA) – Senior Pastor
The Big Picture
Narberth Presbyterian Church (narberthpres.org) desires a Senior Pastor who has a deep passion for the Lord, dedication to the Bible, and views consistent with those of the Evangelical Covenant Order of Presbyterians (ECO). The Pastor shall be devoted to the service of Christ and the church, preaching, and teaching the Word of God. The Pastor shall lead the church to fulfill its vision statement.
Narberth Presbyterian Church (NPC) is a Christ-centered, biblically based, loving community in the heart of Main Line of Philadelphia. In the next ten years, we will take ourselves and others on a faith journey toward spiritual maturity, growing deep in our likeness to Jesus Christ and wide in the spread of the gospel. Our hearts will burn for God and for people, fueled by prayer and the overflow of the Holy Spirit. Specifically, but not exclusively, we will focus on the six-zip code area where over half of our current members live, work, and play.
At NPC, we want to come alongside people of all backgrounds and abilities. We are bolstered by the strength of our warm church community, where children, youth, and adults’ worship and work together side-by-side. We will strengthen those intergenerational connections through mentoring and doing service and missions projects together. We will invite individuals on a deeper personal faith journey where we keep company with Jesus in the “stuff” of our everyday life. We will practice slowing down and waiting on the Lord through prayer and Spirit-led discernment. We will create more small groups to engage our hearts and minds with Scripture. We will invite the lost and hurting through radical hospitality into our church home and our own homes. We will equip ourselves to be ready to share God’s stories in our lives with friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers.
- Foster a worshipful attitude and atmosphere in all church activities and endeavors.
- Ensure the vitality and meaningfulness of worship services for those present in person as well as those attending online, providing the ministry of the Word and sacrament.
- Through preaching the Word of God, inspire the congregation to grow in their faith and to seek opportunities to share their faith in their spheres of influence and the communities around them.
- Determine with the Session, Pastoral Staff, and Worship Committee the church’s policies relating to the ordering of the congregation’s worship.
- Pastoral Care
- Provide, and encourage leaders in the teaching needed for the spiritual life and nurture of the congregation.
- Provide opportunities for the laity to be unleashed to minister to congregants and visitors.
- Work collaboratively with the Associate Pastor, the Parish Visitor, Session, Deacons, and other lay leaders to counsel members and friends of the congregation who are in transition, in crisis, facing sickness, struggles, or grief.
- Provide the needed support for ministries that address the needs of the people, including Holy Communion, weddings, and funerals.
- Actively engage with current members, supporting and encouraging them in their faith journeys.
- Welcome visitors and new members to ensure the ongoing health and growth of the congregation and provide opportunities for them to find a place in the NPC community.
- Set the agenda for both scheduled and called Session Meetings and serve as Moderator of the Session.
- Oversee the Board of Deacons.
- Oversee a mission program with local, regional, and worldwide dimensions.
- Encourage the training and empowerment of staff, lay leaders and covenant partners to reach the world for Christ. Through example and instruction enable the congregation to increase their ability to speak about their faith to a hurting world.
- Support Intergenerational ministry, including programming for children and youth as well as encouraging mentorship and growth through doing service and mission projects together.
- Promote connection with others in Narberth and the greater Philadelphia area beyond the congregation, inviting individuals on a deeper personal faith journey where they keep company with Jesus in the “stuff” of their everyday life.
- As Head of Staff, provide direct supervision for all Pastoral Staff members, overseeing their efforts, encouraging and giving them developmental opportunities, and holding them accountable for their accepted responsibilities (along with any direct supervisors).
- Assist with the implementation and fulfillment of programs by supporting and encouraging committees.
- Assist the Session in providing for the proper maintenance and development of church facilities, official records, and financial resources.
- Maintain regular communication and coordination with the Presbytery.
- The Senior Pastor is accountable to the Session and the Presbytery for all matters relating to the exercise and fulfillment of his/her responsibilities.
- The Senior Pastor is a member of the church Staff, and therefore responsible for cooperating with other staff members in the overall operation of the church office.
- The Senior Pastor is a member of the Heritage Presbytery of the Evangelical Covenant Order of Presbyterians (ECO) and shall attend its meetings, serve on its committees as called upon, and further the connectional relationship between Narberth Presbyterian Church and ECO.
Required Education & Experience: Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) and demonstrated competency in ministry proficiency, theological integration, spiritual and emotional health, and leadership skill accomplished with a master’s degree from an accredited theological seminary in biblical or theological studies or ECO’s Flourish Institute of Theology: School of Ministry or similar program established by ECO and ECO’s Pastoral Ordination Preparation and Assessment. The ideal candidate will have at least 10 years of experience in a related ministry.
Working Conditions: The Senior Pastor will work primarily at the church, but must also be available to visit members and friends in homes, hospitals, etc. The Pastor can and will sometimes work off-site to fulfill his/her duties. Hours are unpredictable and often require attendance at evening classes, committee meetings, services and other functions.
Skills and Personal Requirements: Above all else, the Senior Pastor must be a dedicated follower of Jesus Christ and possess a strong desire to minister to individuals in various stages of faith. Flexibility is required, along with a highly developed sense of confidentiality and sensitivity to the needs of others. Must demonstrate understanding and respect for the racial, economic, and cultural diversity of the congregation and surrounding communities. Must adhere to the Core Values statement of Narberth Presbyterian Church.
How To Apply
Please look over this job description and the church website. Along with your resume please answer these questions:
- Why do you believe that you might be a good fit as the Senior Pastor at NPC?
- Describe your experiences in ministry and how you may be qualified to serve as the Senior Pastor at NPC?
- In just a few sentences please give a summary of your theology and how that is in line with the Statement of Faith of NPC and the ECO?
Please send your resume, the answers to these questions and a link to at least one online sermon to [email protected].