River Vale Community Church (RVCC) is located in River Vale, New Jersey in the northeastern corner of the state. We are less than 25 miles from New York City and an easy drive to the mountains or the beach. We are in a beautiful area of the Pascack Valley, with many parks, golf courses and open space all around us. Our schools are excellent and we have been ranked as one of the best and safest places to live.
RVCC has a rich history of 100 years of ministry. One of the main goals of our small but welcoming church is to foster growth. We envision this growth in many areas: in our faith, in our spiritual health, and in our outreach to the community around us. As an Evangelical Free (EFCA) church, we are congregationally led, but place a high emphasis on pastoral leadership. We are hopeful and ready for the Lord to move us into the next 100 years!
The Senior Pastor shall be a man of true Christian experience and proven character. He shall serve as an overseer, watching over God’s flock. (I Peter 5:2-4; Acts 20:28) For those who are called to serve, certain criteria have been laid out in the scriptures. These criteria stress high personal standards to which each is continually pressing on to take hold of and striving towards (Philippians 3:12-14). Keeping in mind that no one has “already been made perfect,” any person holding a Church position of leadership should be:
- A person of moral and spiritual character. (I Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:6-9; 1 Peter 5:1-3)
- A person who is an example of Christian living that others would want to follow-temperate, sensible, hospitable, respectable, gentle, self-controlled. (I Peter 5:3; Philippians 3:17, 1 Corinthians 11:1; II Thessalonians 3:7, 9; 1 Timothy 3:2-3)
- Committed to the reading and study of God’s Word and able to apply it effectively. (Acts 6:4)
- A teacher and defender of the faith, firmly committed to historic and apostolic doctrine. (I Timothy 3:2; Titus 1:9)
- Of good reputation. (I Timothy 3:7)
- Someone who is not a recent convert. (I Timothy 3:7)
- Live by and uphold the EFCA Confession of Faith (https://www.efca.org/sof)
- Be empowered by the Holy Spirit to do the Lord’s work. (I Timothy 3:1; Acts 20:28; I Peter 5:2)
- As God permits, be gifted in one or more of the following areas:
- Mission Awareness
- The Senior Pastor as an Overseer and Under-Shepherd is thus an Elder.
- Preach and teach the Word of God according to Ephesians 4:11-12.
- Have general oversight of the spiritual life of the congregation.
- Have the responsibility to oversee the church services and administer the Ordinances of the Church.
- Perform the duties of conducting weddings, funerals, and those normally associated with the position of an ordained or licensed Senior Pastor.
- Maintain an active visitation program to persons both within the congregation and in the community.
- Encourage and train the congregation in the work of ministry.
- Submit a report of his activities at the Annual and Semi-Annual Congregational Meetings.
- Be a voting member of the Executive Board and the Elders.
- Serve as an ex-officio member on all other boards and committees of the Church.
- Give guidance to the other members of the Pastoral Staff, delegating responsibility and authority where appropriate, establishing priorities in the ministries, and promoting the effective functioning of the total staff.
- The Senior Pastor is responsible to the Membership and is accountable to the Elders.
Full-Time Salary (Available upon request)
- Parsonage included
- All utilities covered
- Health insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Sick leave
- Holiday pay
- Personal days as needed
- Jury duty pay
- Clergy Sabbatical
- Flexible work schedule
- Retirement contributions
How To Apply
Please email [email protected] and send your resume, two sermons, and a personality profile (optional).