Denomination: Presbyterian – EPC
Weekly Attendance: 130
Location: Kingstowne, Virginia
The Role: Senior Pastor
What it’s Like to Live in Kingstowne, Virginia:
One of the nation’s premier communities, Kingstowne is minutes from D.C. and is home to everything from entertainment, shopping, and historic Old Town Alexandria. The residents of Kingstowne enjoy convenient shopping and dining, along with community pools, tennis courts, many playgrounds, and other recreational venues.
The weather year-round is beautiful with all four seasons. The average high temperature in winter is 44 degrees and the average high temperature in summer is 89 degrees. This allows one to enjoy the outdoor summer concerts at Fairfax County regional parks, hike the George Washington Parkway, explore Mt. Vernon, or simply enjoy the company of new neighbors in your suburban community walking the tree-lined streets.
Education in the area is a priority among the residents. The Fairfax County Public Schools is a nationally ranked school system. The surrounding area is home to premier military installations for all branches from the Pentagon to Fort Belvoir. Several church members are high-ranking government officials, and we even have the occasional international dignitary visit the church.
The region also offers plenty for sports enthusiasts. Opportunities to participate in recreational activities abound with hiking, biking, fishing, boating, tennis, and golfing. The most beloved outdoor activities include visiting museums (including many living museums), galleries, and historical landmarks. When not participating in sports, many enjoy watching the various professional sports teams play baseball, football, soccer, basketball, and even a Stanley Cup-winning hockey team.
The region has been named as one of the top places to live in the country, let alone one of the best places to live in Northern Virginia. It’s been recognized by Money Magazine, Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine, and CNNMoney.com. It was also ranked among Forbes Best Places To Live in 2017 and 2018.
Meet Faith Church Kingstowne:
The story of Faith Church began in 1987 when the founders of Faith felt compelled by God to leave their former denomination and start a church that would focus on the authority of the Bible as the inerrant Word of God. In October 1987, the new church began meeting for Worship and Sunday School at local middle school and in 1998 was officially chartered as a congregation of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC).
After meeting for more than 8 1⁄2 years at the school, the congregation of Faith purchased the property in the community of Kingstowne. They began a building project that would include a sanctuary, fellowship hall, kitchen, and nursery. The first service in the new church building was held in May 1996. In April 1997, Rev. Neil Smith was called as the new pastor and the church’s facilities were enlarged with the construction of a classroom wing, a multi-purpose room, library, and church offices in 2002.
Today, Faith Church Kingstowne is a vibrant, authentic, Christ-centered fellowship of believers who embody the denomination’s motto of unity in the essentials, liberty in non-essentials, and charity (love) in all things. They proclaim the biblical gospel of God’s grace and will make grace central in all their relationships.
About the Senior Pastor:
The Senior Pastor of Faith Church Kingstowne will be welcomed, supported, and encouraged to build on the strong foundation of our mature and growing church. The Senior Pastor extends God’s grace to all people from all backgrounds and leads by example as one who is relational, authentic, transparent, and humble. This candidate will be a strong preacher, pastor, teacher, and visionary. They can deliver inspiring, spiritually nourishing, biblically sound teaching that provides the application to our daily lives. He is passionate about reaching and attracting new members while caring for the congregation.
The Senior Pastor will work collaboratively and effectively at all levels of the church, including with the Associate Pastor, Staff, Session, and Diaconate. A successful candidate demonstrates the ability to relate to and connect with a multi-generational, diverse congregation, has a heart for proclaiming the Gospel, and a desire to extend ministry to the community surrounding the church and throughout the world.
The Senior Pastor Responsibilities Include:
- Worship, Preaching, Teaching
- Design, implement and evaluate all worship experiences for the congregation to ensure effective style, content, and structure with the assistance of the worship team.
- Prepare and deliver compelling sermons that reflect the Reformed, Evangelical, Presbyterian identity, and are relevant, uncompromising, and true to Scripture.
- Lead celebrations of the sacraments of the Lord’s Supper and both infant and believer Baptism.
- Provide educational experiences and teaching opportunities to increase theological and Biblical knowledge within the congregation. This can include but is not limited to: church officer training, new member’s class, small group leader training, Bible study, etc.
- Preach 42-48 weeks of the year.
- Pastoral Care
- Conduct weddings, funerals, and baptisms, and provide related pastoral care including pre-marital and baptismal counseling.
- Partner with elders, deacons, and other congregants to provide pastoral care for the sick, elderly, suffering, and those in crisis.
- Prioritize building personal connections with the members of the congregation.
- Lead, disciple, and provide spiritual guidance for both the Session and Deacons, encouraging them to grow and flourish in their faith and leadership positions.
- Act as head of church staff to lead and direct them to effectively and efficiently support the congregation and vision of the church.
- Partner with and encourage the Assistant Children, Youth, and Family Pastor in his ministerial role.
- Moderate meetings of the Session and congregation in accordance with the EPC Book of Order.
- Work with Session to identify, equip, and encourage new leaders within the congregation.
- Serve as ex officio on all standing Faith Church committees. Regularly attend meetings of the AFPC (admin, finance, personnel) and worship committees, and at their discretion, attend and participate in meetings of any other standing committees.
- Attend Presbytery and General Assembly meetings.
- Carry out the mission and vision of the church by reaching out to the local community with the love of Christ.
- Provide prayer and encouragement to the missionaries we support, and regularly provide congregational updates with the needs of our mission partners.
- Equip and empower the congregation for evangelism, both locally and globally, through practical teaching and example.
What You Bring:
- Education & Experience
- A minimum of five years of significant ministry leadership experience is required.
- Master of Divinity from an accredited theological institution is required.
- Continue to develop professional and theological skills by attending conferences, seminars, or training as available and appropriate.
- Show a passionate relationship with God that drives all other aspects of their life.
- Maintain a vital and active prayer, devotional, and study life, continuing to remain open to the Holy Spirit’s direction, and nurturing a love for God’s Word.
- Ensure significant time for family life and maintain personal health and well-being.
- Currently ordained or able to be ordained in the Evangelical Presbyterian Church.
- Affirms without exception or reservation the Essentials of the Faith of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church.
- Accepts Reformed Theology as a clear system of doctrine, and the Westminster Confession of Faith contains that system of doctrine.
- Comfortable with Presbyterian polity, including the ordination of women.
How To Apply
Submit your resume here: