Below is Greenwich Baptist Church and Community Profile
– Greenwich Baptist Church (GBC) is a diverse congregation of about 70 people, located in the Cos Cob section of Greenwich, CT. Our diversity is reflected in the racial, ethnic, socioeconomic and multigenerational makeup of our congregation. Our mission is “To bring glory to God by developing a growing community of people who have a devotion to Christ that makes a difference in the world.”
– History: After a couple of years of meeting in homes for Bible studies and Sunday evening services in the early 1960’s, GBC was officially incorporated as an autonomous church, affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention and the Metropolitan New York Baptist Association on April 27, 1963. Since its purchase of the current property in 1965, the former Blythewood Sanitarium, GBC has added and renovated buildings with a vision to reach Greenwich and the surrounding community with the gospel of Jesus Christ. In 2014 a Christian preschool was started that currently has an enrollment of about 90 students, most of whom come from the community. GBC continues that vision and is trusting God to use our church to continue to make disciples both locally and globally.
– Geographic Area: Greenwich, CT, a suburban community in southwestern CT, located 30 miles from NYC. It is an affluent community with lovely shopping areas, several parks and a popular beach area on Long Island Sound. The population of Greenwich is approximately 70,000.
– Governance and Leadership: Both the leadership and congregation has varied from decade to decade, perhaps unlike typical Baptist churches in other parts of the country. For the past 11 years our leadership has been theologically aligned with the more conservative arm of the SBC and though as a whole, GBC is a diverse group, we remain committed to solid Biblical leadership. Our governance has been congregational-led though we are in the process of changing to an elder-led structure. The pastor would be an elder along with lay elders voted on by the congregation. Currently our staff consists of the pastor, deacons, a part-time administrative assistant, a part-time worship leader and part-time director of children’s ministry. The chairs of the various committees form the coordinating committee, which also serves in leadership.
– Weekly schedule: Our weekly services include Sunday School (for a adults and middleaged students), followed by our main service. Our worship service is a blended style, led by a worship team. Nursery is available during the service and children age 5-10 are dismissed for children’s church. Opportunities for corporate prayer are offered on Sunday mornings, prior to Sunday school, on Friday mornings and Wednesday evenings. Consistent in regularity, they are not widely attended, though the congregation is routinely encouraged to attend at least one of these prayer times. Our pastor has been vocal regarding the importance of being a praying church.
– Other campus activity: Two other churches utilize GBC’s facilities. El Renacimiento Baptist Church, for approximately 12 years, and more recently, a Seventh Day Adventist Congregation. As stated above, the campus also functions as a preschool, for 8 years to date. The school receives financial support from the GBC missions budget, but is an independent organization with its own board of directors and operating budget. All three organizations pay rent for usage.
– GBC outreach and body life: While we have a handful of long-time members, much of our congregation have been attending for 15 years or less. Additionally, transience is part of the equation in the metro area. We have a few young families who have become involved in recent years, and along with others, have a strong desire to see GBC flourish as a church family and to reach our community. Prior to covid, we had several annual outreach events, including participation in housing development outreach, a health fare, The Holiday Stroll and serving monthly at a men’s shelter. Some of these continue now. A men’s breakfast has been available off and on over the past 10-plus years. Several attempts at ongoing womens’ gatherings have not been as successful. We have had small group gatherings, though they have not been revisited since being waylaid by covid. This year we hosted a fall fest outreach and a spring fest outreach, which were widely attended by people in our community as well as families from the preschool.
The Senior Pastor of Greenwich Baptist Church is to be a Christian, growing in wisdom, faith and love with the spiritual gifts of preaching and teaching the Word of God.
The Senior Pastor of Greenwich Baptist Church is to be able to share the Good News of Jesus Christ and the clear plan of salvation in a compelling, loving way to engage more people in the community in today’s world, that they will come to know JESUS. Able to share their salvation story and when they came to know Jesus Christ as their personal Savior. The Senior Pastor is responsible for providing spiritual leadership demonstrating spiritual wisdom and God’s grace in all aspects of the church life.
- To labor over the flock with the goal to bring forth maturity in all of the sheep. Galatians 4:19.
- Helping identify the sheep’s gifts.
- Encourage and equip lay ministry teams to fulfill their vision and goals, using their spiritual gifts for God’s glory and the growth of the church.
- Oversee the planning and facilitating of all elements necessary for maintaining quality workshop services, ministries, Small Group Studies and Bible Studies for all ages.
- Take primary responsibility for the preaching in all church services.
- Work with the deacons and other staff in providing for the shepherding needs of the whole body as we fulfill the church’s vision and mission statements.
- Participate/lead the mission in establishing elders in the church.
- To preach to the church from the Bible as directed by the Holy Spirit, administer the ordinances of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper, and provide a shepherd’s care to the membership.
- The pastor, with the support of the deacons, shall also guide the church and development of an effectively balanced church program of evangelism, Christian growth, and a Christ-centered outreach ministry.
- To arrange for the temporary preachers, in a timely manner, in his absence.
- A Man of Prayer.
- Loves the Lord and is evidenced in his life.
- Demonstrates the Fruits of the Spirit, Galatians 5:22 – 23.
- Effective and spiritually gifted preacher/teacher.
- Effective leadership skills.
- A team player.
- Heart to serve and minister.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and keep other people, deacons, committee chairs informed.
- Counseling skills.
- Encourager / motivator.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to delegate.
- The Senior Pastor shall be a committed Christian whose life demonstrates the Biblical qualifications of the Senior Pastor, I Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:6-10.
- His beliefs shall be consistent with Greenwich Baptist Church’s Statement of Beliefs and the Baptist Faith and Message, and his walk with God will exemplify the teachings of the New Testament.
- He will testify to a clear sense of God’s call to the pastoral ministry and strong sense of God’s leadership to pastor this church.
- He will have a combination of formal education and demonstrate experience in pastoral ministry and a knowledge of God’s Word.
How To Apply
Please send resume to Bon at [email protected].