Introduction to Grace Church Aurora
Grace Church Aurora (GCA) is a non-denominational, independent, conservative, evangelical, Bible teaching church governed by a group of elders serving under Christ’s authority. Our purpose is “to glorify God by lovingly making disciples, who worship and obediently serve Him.”
- Our Sunday morning congregation has averaged 65 people in attendance for the past 3 years.
- We host a thriving Awana program, drawing participation from other local churches, and averaging over 120 children, 25 youth and 40 leaders on a weekly basis.
- We built our 9000 sq ft facility in 2004, consisting of a main auditorium, an office area, a kitchen and a classroom/meeting wing.
- We employ a full-time pastor-teacher and an onsite office administrator to coordinate the church schedule, church ministries, church accounting, and facility support tasks.
About the Position
Our previous pastor served for 31 years from June 1991 until he retired in June 2022. He held an undergraduate degree (B.A. in Christian Education) from Wheaton College and a Th.M. in Bible Exposition from Dallas Theological Seminary.
We are seeking the next full-time pastor-teacher to grow and shepherd the body of GCA, preserving and building upon our existing teaching standards.
Philosophy of Pastoral Ministry
We believe a pastor-teacher…
- Achieves unity and matures the congregation by teaching Biblical truths
- Possesses complete humility towards Scripture
- Acts with the elders as shepherds of the congregation to fulfill our purpose statement and to equip people for works of ministry
- Promotes a heart of eager servitude – not out of compulsion
- Has identified that he is appointed by God with the gift of pastor-teacher
- Agrees with the GCA Statement of Faith
- Follows a systematic, dispensational interpretation of Scripture
- Studies exegetically; is skilled in the correct application of hermeneutics, and expositional teaching
- Possesses a working knowledge of the original Biblical languages
- Demonstrates the character of an overseer as described in Titus 1:5-9 and 1 Timothy 3:1-7
- Is motivated in all things by love
- Has (or is progressing towards) a Master of Theology or Master of Divinity from a seminary aligned with the GCA Statement of Faith
- Has prior pastoral experience
- Is able to develop a collaborative vision to grow the Body of Christ
- Is the primary teaching pastor, characterized by verse-by-verse or categorical exposition of the “whole counsel of God.”
- Matures and unifies the congregation through solid teaching, to train in distinguishing good from evil.
- Exhorts in sound doctrine and rebukes those who contradict, being aware of cultural trends and equipping against false doctrines.
- Protects the flock by ensuring the teaching from the pulpit and within the church ministries is consistent with the GCA Statement of Faith.
- Establishes a teaching schedule in accordance with his own talents and abilities, as he is led by the Spirit.
- Participates in church leadership activities including elder meetings, budget stewardship, and strategic vision development.
- Exemplifies and encourages evangelism to grow the local and universal Body of Christ.
- Lovingly shepherds in Christ’s manner by feeding the flock and reaching out to the lost.
- Leads by example in personal spiritual discipline and growth.
Just as the body has many members that do not all have the same function, so also the members of GCA have different spiritual gifts. The pastor is not expected to serve out of compulsion in other church ministries beyond teaching but he is welcome to serve as he is led by the Spirit in the exercise of his spiritual gift(s).
The pastor’s annual compensation and benefits package will be negotiated with the candidate based on experience and other factors. He will be a full-time employee.
Profile of Grace Church Aurora
Grace Church Aurora (GCA)is a non-denominational, independent, conservative, evangelical, Bible teaching church governed by a group of elders serving under Christ’s authority. We believe in the qualifications for elders as outlined in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9. Our purpose is “To glorify God by lovingly making disciples, who worship and obediently serve Him.” We believe in two ordinances; a believer’s baptism (preferably by immersion) and the Lord’s table (Communion).
The church is located in Aurora, Colorado, an eastern suburb of Denver. GCA was planted in 1981 as a daughter church of South Fellowship. Originally the church met in a local middle school. In 1983 the church moved into a dedicated space in a local shopping center. Now GCA resides in a 9000 sq ft facility, built in 2004. The facility includes a multipurpose worship center with capacity for 175 people, a nursery, preschool room, four classrooms, a main office, two private offices, and a kitchen. God has blessed the church with healthy finances the past 5-10 years with a current operating budget of $250,000-$260,000 per annum. We employ a full-time pastor and a part-time office administrator. All other ministries are led by volunteers. The church sits on 3-acres that overlook the Denver Metro area with a magnificent view of the Rocky Mountains. The property has generous space for future growth.
GCA has several active ministries: Music/Worship Ministry, Children’s Ministry, Youth Ministry, Adult Bible Fellowship, Awana, Small Groups, Men’s Fellowship, and Women’s Fellowship. The Awana program is the largest ministry with outreach to over 130 children and youth each week on Sunday and Monday. GCA actively supports several missionaries serving with various mission agencies in the US and overseas.
Over the past 10 years, the average attendance on Sunday mornings has been around 80 people. Our demographic includes 50-75 regular attendees with an even mix of younger families, middle aged families, and senior adults. The socio-economic level of the church and immediate community is primarily middle to upper-middle class. We would love to see growth in our church body as God leads us.
Community Profile of Aurora, Colorado
Aurora, Colorado is the 3rd largest city in Colorado and the 54th largest city in the United States. It is an eastern suburb of the Denver Metro area. The 2020 census recorded 386,251 residents, spread across 290 square miles and three counties (Arapahoe, Adams, and Douglas). Over the past 10 years, the Aurora population has grown by over 20%. Aurora is ethnically and culturally diverse. It is the center of the Colorado refugee population with a sizable number of Ethiopian, Eritrean, and Nepalese refugees. 65% of the Aurora population is under the age of 45 and 8% are veterans.
This area of Colorado has 300 sunny days per year with moderate temperatures and low humidity. The Denver Metro area is east of the Rocky Mountains. In the winter, most snowfall occurs in the mountains with limited, brief storm activity and periodic snow accumulations in the Denver Metro area.
Colorado has 7000 acres of parks, 8000 recreational programs, world-renowned ski resorts, hiking trails, mountain climbing, bike paths, beautiful vistas, and historic sites. Denver is the home of several professional sports teams, including the Denver Broncos (NFL), the Denver Nuggets (NBA), the Colorado Rockies (MLB), the Colorado Avalanche (NHL), the Colorado Rapids (MLS), and the Colorado Mammoth (NLL). Denver is also home to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, the Denver Art Museum, the Botanical Gardens, Red Rocks Amphitheatre, the Denver Zoo, and the Denver Center for the Performing Arts.
K-12 education in Aurora includes traditional public schools (Cherry Creek Schools and Aurora Public Schools), public charter schools, private schools, and a thriving homeschool community. Aurora has its own public library system but there is access to five library systems in the area. The Denver Metro area offers numerous higher education opportunities with 21 four-year colleges and universities, 6 two-year colleges, and numerous technical/trade schools. Additionally, the metro area is home to an academic medical center that is one of the nation’s top health care facilities and teaching hospitals.
There are a variety of shopping areas, restaurants, theaters, golf courses, bowling alleys, and other fun activities in Aurora and beyond. The Regional Transportation District includes light rail and bus service with access to Denver International Airport and downtown Denver.
Veteran and military amenities are available at Buckley Space Force Base and at the VA Hospital. For additional information about Aurora visit the city website at www.auroragov.org.
How To Apply
Please provide the following information to the email address: [email protected]
- For each of the eight Statements of Faith and Distinctives of Grace Church Aurora from the GCA Statement of Faith, provide your agreement or disagreement and a personal theological position summary for each.
- A personal theological approach to the interpretation of scripture
- A personal summary of a philosophy of ministry of a model church; include church polity/government (e.g. roles of elder, pastor, deacon, congregation)
- Autobiographical sketch of applicant and family
- Statement of how a person passes from spiritual death to spiritual life