Our church has served as a Christian anchor to historic Gloucester Courthouse for more
than 140 years. Gloucester is located in coastal Virginia along the southernmost portion
of the Chesapeake Bay. We are a community that is surrounded by water, and it has
shaped our history, our environment, and our lives.
In 2016, after considerable prayer and discernment, the congregation of First Presbyterian Church voted overwhelmingly to join ECO, a Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians, so we are now Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church. We asked God then, and we continue to ask God today, for His abiding presence and ministry at Grace on Main.
Provided below is more information about Grace on Main:
- We are a Christ-commissioned, mission-driven church family, marked by love for all.
- We are compelled to use the best of our resources and abilities for the Grace and
Glory of God as we strive for spiritual maturity.
- We are anchored in scripture, teaching and encouraging the truths God gives us in
- We are a church that seeks to guide people to a Christ-activated life.
- We are a collective group of covenant partners who seek to acknowledge God in all
- The Holy Spirit empowers us to lead by example in our church and
- Our covenant partners are diverse and passionate about doing God’s work.
- We are unwavering in our collective love for Jesus and continuously demonstrate a deep commitment to service, study, and scripture.
- Our commitment to community engagement is reflected through intentional ministry for all ages.
- We value strong Biblical teaching.
- We are passionate about prayer. Christ compels us to give and love generously.
From Co-Pastor to Senior Pastor
Our Elders have been in prayer and discernment about the best model for Grace in this season of leadership succession. Here is the model the Session has adopted:
That our current Senior Pastor, Doug Nagel, who seeks to retire, will become Co-Senior Pastor with our newly called Pastor. That our new and current Pastors would serve together for two to six months. That during this short period, the central roles of the Lead Pastor will be passed as quickly as possible to the new Pastor.
These roles include the leading role in preaching and planning worship, moderating the Session,
supervising staff – and implementing our vision for Grace. Until the two Pastors can meet and work through the details of this plan, this is as much detail as we can provide. The Session will trust the two to develop the schedule of succession, and Doug intends to follow the lead
of the new Pastor in the progression of the role shifts.
The compensation and benefit package will be competitive with similar
ECO positions and commensurate with experience.
Are you the person we’ve been praying for?