Thornapple Covenant Church is in the process of discerning God’s leading as we seek our next Senior Pastor. We are an active member of the Evangelical Covenant Church denomination and have just finished our 40th year of ministry in Cascade, MI. Our job description is below. You can find more information at thornapple.org/spsearch.
The Senior Pastor will provide spiritual, pastoral, and equipping leadership to the
congregation, towards achieving our mission, which is “to help people find and follow Jesus Christ.”
This will include, but not be limited to:
● preaching at the congregation’s worship services,
● teaching in various settings in the life of the church,
● leading the senior leadership team,
● serving with the Council of Elders to lead the congregation to discern, communicate, and
implement God’s vision for the church in this community,
● encouraging and equipping the congregation and staff for various works of ministry,
● caring for staff and congregation,
● and developing the gifts, talents, and passions of staff and the congregation.
Reports to: Council of Elders and the Members. The Senior Pastor will be called by the Members.
Position: Full-time, exempt.
Responsibilities & Duties:
Word and Sacrament and Teaching (50%)
● Serve as the primary preacher by preparing sermon series in advance, to comfort, exhort, and
come alongside the congregation during various seasons in the life of the church, community,
country, and world, and helping to provide effective sermons grounded in Scripture, and in
● Collaborate with the Minister of Worship Arts to plan, lead, and evaluate worship services.
● Officiate at the Lord’s Table, baptisms, and child dedications, with the assistance of other staff.
● Teach in settings outside of preaching in worship.
Congregation & Elders
● Help the congregation and Elders to discern God’s vision, and to communicate that vision to the
● Serve as an Elder and attend Council of Elders meetings.
● Foster the spiritual development of the Council of Elders.
● Lead and empower staff in managing day-to-day operation of the church, including
implementation of the congregation’s vision for ministry; driving existing ministries, and help to
envision, start, and support new ministries.
● Foster the spiritual development of the staff, while offering respect and grace to each staff
member, setting the tone and example for team ministry.
● Collaborate with the pastors and the Council of Elders when hiring or dismissing staff.
● Evaluate the performance of the pastors and additional staff as appropriate with the assistance
of the Council of Elders.
● Develop strategies to bless people with the love of God and attract people to Thornapple in
order to present the gospel and develop people as disciples of Christ.
● Make meaningful connections with neighborhood leaders, non-profit organizations, and
business leaders to be a relevant participant in our community.
Pastoral Care (20%)
● Collaborate with staff and volunteers to plan for and lead the care of families and individuals,
accessing professionals when appropriate.
● Officiate weddings and funerals, with the assistance of other staff.
● Other duties and projects as needed.
● Holds ordination to word and sacrament, or meets the requirements
for ordination to word and sacrament, in the Evangelical Covenant Church.
● Models a strong Christian faith and character whose life reflects the biblical values of spiritual
● Possesses the gifts and passions to lead, preach to, care for, and to equip all God’s people.
● Is comfortable working one-on-one, in small groups, or in a large group setting.
● Has a proven track record of successful pastoral experience in a multi-staff church, including
● Proficient in G Suite (Google), Dropbox, Microsoft Office and church management software or
How To Apply
Please email us at [email protected] to apply or gain more information.
Sue Smith, Chair
Senior Pastor Search Team