Denomination: Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS)
Weekly Attendance: 500
Location: Mount Dora, Florida
The Role: Student Ministry Director
Meet theCross Church:
theCross Church was planted in 2010 out of Holy Cross Church of Lake Mary, FL with a vision to reach and disciple people in the Mount Dora, FL area. Pastor Zach Zehnder led this new church plant, putting together a core group and then began services in 2011. Meeting in rented spaces for the first 10+ years, the church grew to over 500 people and was known for its innovative events and commitment to recovery ministries that connected with people in the community. In 2018, the church launched a second campus in Apopka, FL with Mark Crossman as the Campus Pastor.
2020 brought a new season of change to theCross. Due to the challenges of the pandemic, theCross Church decided to close their Apopka campus. Pastor Zach Zehnder stepped down from his role as Senior Pastor to pursue a broader national ministry opportunity and Mark Crossman was named the new Senior Pastor.
In 2021, the Cross moved into a newly vacant event center which they were able to purchase outright in 2022, along with a small house on an adjacent property. With a fresh vision, a new facility, and a staff and congregation eager to reach their community for Christ, theCross is poised for growth in the coming years.
About the Student Ministry Director:
The primary responsibilities of this full-time position are to oversee, manage, and lead theCross Youth, which includes Middle School and High School students and to incorporate theCross Vision into theCross Youth.
The Student Ministry Director’s Responsibilities Include:
General Responsibilities Include:
- Faith in Jesus Christ
- Commitment to grow as a disciple
- Commitment to the mission and vision of theCross
- Being a team player who is passionate about our culture
- Unless involved in off-site youth activities, be on-campus Monday-Thursday, 9:00am-3:00pm
- Building healthy teams through Recruiting, Training & Encouraging
Specific Responsibilities Include:
Wednesday Youth Programming
- Planning, Execution, & Organization of the TC Youth Wednesdays
- Raise up a team of Student and Adult Volunteers
- Oversee Youth Events (e.g. Summer Camp, Retreats, etc.)
- Assist with Churchwide Events (e.g. Trunk or Treat, VBS, Easter & Christmas Eve)
School & Community Involvement
- Be acquainted with the personal lives of the young people (either directly or through youth leaders). For example, visit homes, attend school events, and make hospital visits. This also includes being aware of current youth development, culture, social media, etc.
- Social involvement in the community (e.g. schools, sports, FCA, etc.)
- Outreach & Service Projects
Ongoing Training & Discipleship
- Includes volunteers, student leaders, parents, and students in general
- Foster partnerships with parents/guardians, primarily or directly through youth leaders or by other means of communication. Share stories or experiences youth can relate to, in order to build character and trust
- Work with the pastors to create a Confirmation program
Other Ministerial Duties
- Assist Children’s Director on Sunday mornings
- Other duties as required
What You Bring:
Education & Experience
- An Undergraduate Degree from an accredited college or university is preferred.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience successfully serving in student ministry in a church context.
- Willing and able to serve faithfully in a Lutheran Church Missouri Synod theological context. (This person does not need to be ordained or have served in an LCMS context to be considered for this role).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Possesses excellent communication skills
- Has administrative gifts to create, organize and execute leadership in ministry settings.
- Is comfortable and proficient in using social media for ministry
- Works well with a flexible schedule
- Has the ability to lead and train staff and volunteers
- Connects well with parents
Personal Characteristics & Qualifications
- A team-oriented, servant-leader who enjoys collaborating with other leaders in implementing a ministry vision
- Is a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Has a clear calling to reach and disciple students in the greater Mount Dora area
- Possesses a deep commitment to knowing and following Jesus in all aspects of life
- Energy carrier who loves to have fun
What It’s Like to Live in Mount Dora, FL:
Mount Dora is a laid-back city in central Florida, known for its antique shops and annual festivals. Residents spend their weekends enjoying the many parks, golf courses, shopping venues, and the variety of restaurants. This town is a relaxing getaway just an hour from Orlando and offers you the pleasure of “Old Florida country living.”
Mount Dora boasts many lakes, quiet country inns, shops, an old railroad station, and a plethora of tasty dining options. Enjoy a boat tour or a visit to the Deer Island Country Club during one of your relaxing weekends. The small-town environment caters particularly to antique enthusiasts from across the Florida state and from around the country. Shops in Mount Dora’s downtown area are full of nostalgic items, valuable collectibles, and impressive estate jewelry. Downtown also offers the Modernism Museum, outdoor cafes, gourmet restaurants, galleries, wineries, and bed and breakfast inns.
How To Apply
Apply though this link: https://www.vanderbloemen.com/job/-1