Transitional/ Interim Pastor
Purpose: Charlton Baptist Church is seeking an experienced pastor to serve as an interim pastor. An essential responsibility of this position will be to maintain unity and help transition the leadership and congregation in preparation for a settled pastor. We will be starting interviews by May 1st 2021, but will be accepting applications until the position is filled. This position will start after August 1, 2021.
● Shepherd – Model the heart of the Chief Shepherd and ensure that the church is well led, cared for, and protected (cf. Acts 20:28; 1 Peter 5:1-4).
- Provide oversight of all areas of church life and the ministerial staff.
- Encourage a sense of team-work among church staff and lay leaders.
- Hold/attend regular meetings to coordinate church ministries and facilitate communication. o Engage/Encourage church members in pastoral care ministry through visits/contacts.
- Pastoral care in cooperation with other staff, committees, and servants.
- Conduct Biblical & premarital counseling, weddings, baptisms, and funeral services.
● Evangelist – Oversee outreach and evangelistic efforts
- Provide/support training opportunities to the congregation for outreach and evangelism.
- Work with the Missions Committee to support various mission opportunities, to encourage
the Church in giving to missions, and to involve the Church in personal mission service.
● Preacher – Act as principal communicator of God’s Word in public worship and ensure that the Church is growing to maturity in Christ (cf. Acts 6:4; Ephesians 4:11; 2 Timothy 4:1-4; Titus 1:9).
- Prepare and deliver sermons at three Sunday worship services per month.
- Prepare/lead worship services at CBC, according to the traditional Baptist liturgical calendar.
● Oversee – Responsible, in cooperation with CBC staff and leadership teams, to fulfill God’s calling for our congregation as we seek to honor the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
- Provide guidance and leadership as we make operational, administrative, and ministerial changes in line with agreed prescriptions from a recent church study.
- Lead and guide us as we work to discern and implement God’s vision for CBC.
- Coordinate with Ministry NE and CBC leadership in implementing recently adopted prescriptions, helping to translate broad goals into achievable steps.
- Work with ministry teams and staff to impact the community, align church ministries to our
mission and vision, and be accountable to our diverse membership.
● Equip – Work with CBC leadership as they seek to empower and equip CBC members
- Join in development of Christian disciples at CBC, ready for service and ministry, through discovering and developing their spiritual gifts (cf. Ephesians 4:12; 2 Timothy 2:2).
● Manage Continuity/Change – Promote congregational health by offering a safe bridge through a time of transition and the selection of the next permanent pastor.
- Provide counsel/comfort as the church grieves and mourns our long-term pastor and friend.
- Align the church to successfully implement prescriptions prescribed by Missions NE.
● Guidance/Partnership – Provide counsel with Missions NE throughout the pastoral transition.
- Guide CBC in identifying the characteristics it desires in a settled pastor. o Counsel the pastoral search committee.
● Education – At a minimum, a pastor should have a Bachelor in Bible Study or Theology from an accredited Christian College or University. A master of divinity from an accredited theological school or a seminary is considered a plus.
● Experience – 15 years pastoral ministry experience.
- Leadership skills to prepare the church staff, lay leaders, and congregation for the succession of a new settled pastor.
- o Some interim pastoral experience or certification preferred.
Working Conditions: The position requires flexibility in hours available for work, including evenings and weekends. Office hours should be sufficient to allow proper accessibility to both members of the congregation and the church staff.
Term: The term of the interim position is expected to range from 12 to 24 months.
The interim pastor will not be considered as a candidate for the settled pastor position.
How To Apply
You can apply by following this link to our hiring page on the church website. There you will find a link to an Indeed application and a PDF of the job description above.